a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Really need this question answered!! About jobs and moving

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

lonna_senpai
Established Presence

Really need this question answered!! About jobs and moving

Postby lonna_senpai » August 9th, 2007 9:59 am

ok, it's a long story but please bear with me.

First let me introduce myself. I'm a 22yr old, female 5'5' brown hair average build. I don't have any degrees but I did attend some community college were I took Japanese 2 and got a A. I also did well in all my English classes. English is my native language and I don't have any type of accent.I have a out going personality and I work well with children.

I met a Japanese woman here in the states. Her name is Kazoko. She has a daughter named Rika. Rika is married to a American in the Navy. Rika and her husbnad live 20 minutes from Tokyo on a military base. Both Rika and Kazoko speak excellent English.

I'm going with Kazoko in October to Japan. Well I am there my main objective will be to look for jobs. I don't mind tutoring anywhere in Japan, I love the county side. I heard that Osaka always has tutoring positions available. i also don't mind getting payed less as I don't have a degree. I don't mind working for a school either. Pretty much I will except anything.

I have basic skills in the Japanese language. I know all the katakana and hiragana. I also know about 300 kanji. I would like to become fluent in the language.

Now the questions.

Am I being realistic to be able to find any jobs without a degree?
How do I go about looking for jobs in Japan while I am there? Is there a newspaper I should look for that has ads?
Will I be able to obtain a working visa without a degree?
What is the best region of the county to look for a job?
Am I allow to hand out fliers telling about my services at a street corner or subway station to get people to tutor?
How much money monthly will I need about?

I need some real answers. I can except the truth I just want to have some idea what to expect.

i appreciate all the help!! If I missed anything that you think might help me don't hesitate to give the advise! I need all I can get.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Really need this question answered!! About jobs and movi

Postby Bueller_007 » August 9th, 2007 11:19 am

lonna_senpai wrote:Am I being realistic to be able to find any jobs without a degree?

Depends what country you're from. You need a Visa. You can get a Working Holiday Visa without a degree, but those aren't available to people from the States. Once you have the visa, it's not particularly difficult, but qualifications depend on the employer.

How do I go about looking for jobs in Japan while I am there? Is there a newspaper I should look for that has ads?

There are numerous links posted throughout this forum. Do some browsing and you'll find them.

Tokyo-Yokohama and surrounds, or Osaka-Kobe and surrounds.

Am I allow to hand out fliers telling about my services at a street corner or subway station to get people to tutor?

Yes, but most foreigners (and many Japanese) consider such work demeaning.

Depends on what kind of work you end up getting, how long it takes you, where you live, spending/eating habits, etc.. $3000-$4000 US should be enough to tide you over until you get your first paycheck, but again, it depends.

Get 40% OFF
lonna_senpai
Established Presence

Postby lonna_senpai » August 9th, 2007 11:23 am

Thanks I really appreciate the advise. I live in Florida, US. Yeah, I guess that is important information.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » August 9th, 2007 3:34 pm

lonna_senpai wrote:Thanks I really appreciate the advise. I live in Florida, US. Yeah, I guess that is important information.

Normally, no visas for US citizens without a degree. (Unless they get married to Japanese, etc.)

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » August 9th, 2007 11:42 pm

Your best bet is to get married to a Japanese. The entertainer visa is only good for 3 to 6 months. The regular work visa to US citizens is only good if you have a BS degree, any degree.

You could get a student visa, but you'd have to find out if you can work.

You should really look at the Japanese embassy page for your state.

lonna_senpai
Established Presence

Postby lonna_senpai » August 10th, 2007 11:03 pm

Bueller_007 wrote:
lonna_senpai wrote:Thanks I really appreciate the advise. I live in Florida, US. Yeah, I guess that is important information.

Normally, no visas for US citizens without a degree. (Unless they get married to Japanese, etc.)

Can I get a accelerated Bachelor degree online? As long as its a BS is that ok?

croasian
New in Town

Postby croasian » August 19th, 2007 7:53 am

Ahh you're in the same-ish boat as me.

I'm Canadian and I went to Japan on a working holiday visa (I'm also hold a 2-year college degree). I got a job at a private English company (and I loved that job!). My boss tried to apply to get a work visa for me (and he submitted a portfolio of my work) so I wouldn't have to leave, and alas, I recieved a denial letter from Immigrations. Boo. The second I got back to Canada, I enrolled my butt in University to get a BA.

I'm hoping this hard work will pay off, seems that Japan doesn't have too many loopholes (except the marriage thing.. but even then you have to get approved to work).

I have no clue if an online BA will count... they may or may not check the validity. In my case, I signed up for East Asian studies so I can transfer to a Japanese Univeristy (hopefully) next year. That way I can finish my last 2 years in Japan =P

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Re: Really need this question answered!! About jobs and movi

Postby Ulver_684 » November 7th, 2007 2:34 am

lonna_senpai wrote:ok, it's a long story but please bear with me.

First let me introduce myself. I'm a 22yr old, female 5'5' brown hair average build. I don't have any degrees but I did attend some community college were I took Japanese 2 and got a A. I also did well in all my English classes. English is my native language and I don't have any type of accent.I have a out going personality and I work well with children.

I met a Japanese woman here in the states. Her name is Kazoko. She has a daughter named Rika. Rika is married to a American in the Navy. Rika and her husbnad live 20 minutes from Tokyo on a military base. Both Rika and Kazoko speak excellent English.

I'm going with Kazoko in October to Japan. Well I am there my main objective will be to look for jobs. I don't mind tutoring anywhere in Japan, I love the county side. I heard that Osaka always has tutoring positions available. i also don't mind getting payed less as I don't have a degree. I don't mind working for a school either. Pretty much I will except anything.

I have basic skills in the Japanese language. I know all the katakana and hiragana. I also know about 300 kanji. I would like to become fluent in the language.

Now the questions.

Am I being realistic to be able to find any jobs without a degree?

I need some real answers. I can except the truth I just want to have some idea what to expect.

i appreciate all the help!! If I missed anything that you think might help me don't hesitate to give the advise! I need all I can get.

Lonna_senpai-san! :wink:

You must be in Japan already so let us know how it went out! Did you find Japanese friends to show you around? Did you sign to mixi has I sent you a invite?
Please let us all know, how it turn out ok! :suki:

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”