Or sign up using Facebook

Moving to Japan

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

rospy
New in Town

Moving to Japan

Postby rospy » June 22nd, 2007 6:19 pm

Hey, new member here, first post.

Well, I'm moving to Japan in less than 2 months to teach English. I found this wonderful company to work for which was a great relief from the private companies (Nova, Aeon, geos, ecc, etc). The company is called Interac. Has anyone heard of this? I'll be working at public middle or high schools. I'm really looking forward to the 2-month paid vacation.

So therefore, I'm learning Japanese. I'm at beginner lesson #25 (difficult lesson).

I was curious about getting flash cards on my ipod. I've found a couple companies that make a program to create flash cards, but they are dependant on the NOTES section of my ipod which is currently overflowing because of iLearning Center. Apparently there is a 1000 file limit in NOTES so I can't even view all of my iLearningCenter lessons.

So I'm looking for a flash card system for my iPod which doesn't use the NOTES section. Any Suggestions?

Thanks.

Byron

TheProfessorOne
Established Presence

Re: Moving to Japan

Postby TheProfessorOne » June 24th, 2007 11:49 am

rospy wrote:Hey, new member here, first post.

Well, I'm moving to Japan in less than 2 months to teach English. I found this wonderful company to work for which was a great relief from the private companies (Nova, Aeon, geos, ecc, etc). The company is called Interac. Has anyone heard of this? I'll be working at public middle or high schools. I'm really looking forward to the 2-month paid vacation.

Byron

Hi there and welcome to the forums!

It is funny your mention "Interac" actually. I worked for them for one year out of the Yokohama branch office under a great guy named Joel. His voice actually sounds just like Peter-san in the podcast lol.

Interac treated me extremely well. I have nothing but positive things to say about them. When I frist started with them, some of the people I know in this area warned me saying it wasn't a good company, that they didn't pay their employees, yatty-yatty. None of that is true. In fact, they were going through a management change when I first start a year and a half ago.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to talk about what you will be doing or things of that nature. Take care and best of luck to you in your new job!

- Pro
Guidelines | FAQ | あなたはぜっこうちょうですか?

Get 40% OFF
TheProfessorOne
Established Presence

Postby TheProfessorOne » June 25th, 2007 9:33 am

Byron,

Thanks for your PM. I sent you a reply here on the site and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best wishes...you will be here soon! :D
Guidelines | FAQ | あなたはぜっこうちょうですか?

rospy
New in Town

Postby rospy » June 27th, 2007 4:19 am

Thank you for the PM professor.

Also I found a solution for my flash card problem. I'm using iFlash.
so I now I have iLearningCenter and Flash Cards on my ipod. :D

TheNationalPool
Been Around a Bit

Postby TheNationalPool » August 4th, 2007 6:10 pm

Thanks for the info on Interac. It's been tough to find companies to go with who are on the up and up, so I'll definitely be checking them out.

Best,

Brad
www.thenationalpool.com

www.ModernMusicBusiness.com
"A podcast for the new era of the Music Business"

JockZon
Expert on Something

Postby JockZon » August 12th, 2007 10:53 pm

As a none native english speaker. What are the opportunities in Japan? I've figured they don't want english teachers that aren't from the US, Australia, UK etc etc. What could one do instead? Teaching some other langauge? :roll:

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » September 11th, 2007 9:22 am

I had a response from Interac also but didn't go with them for the required use of a car bit. I've had enough of owning a car here in the states and don't want that thorn again.

I have a question about port of entry as listed on the application for certificate eligilby. I've been hired by Berlitz, and they wanted me to put Narita on the port of entry, but all flights to Osaka are never going to Narita as the first point. Either the Osaka or Kansai airports will be the first port of entry. Will this matter? Will I have a problem with security concerning this?

I still have my interview with ECC Japan at the end of the month. If they seem better equipped to handle new teachers from outside the country, how hard would it be to cancel employment with Berlitz and switch to them? Will I have to go through the process of getting a new visa with them or can I have the Berlitz one moved over to ECC? Berlitz has been helpful, but less than encouraging when it comes to meeting me at the airport, and finding a place to live.

My thoughts on all this is everyone is the same pay/hour wise, but how are they standing out by helping new people adjust to Japanese life? Unless you have a Japanese husband or wife or a fluent speaker, it's hard to just deal with the simple things.

Thanks all!

rospy
New in Town

follow up

Postby rospy » March 10th, 2008 2:25 am

Hello everyone,

I can't believe this thread is still on the first forum page.

Anyway, just following-up for those of you who are interested in interac. Thus far, I am quite satisfied with them.

They pay a little less than the jet program does, but interac does supply you with a brand new car. It's a lease and interac pays a little more than half of the monthly fee plus gas and repairs.

Another difference from the jets that I've noticed is that a jet alt works from 8 to 5 no matter what while I usually go home at 3:15 ^_^ Although, this leaving time does depend on whether your school is cool with it.

Another difference: interac teaches all the high schools in miyagi while jets teach elementary and junior high schools.

Overall, I love this job. Especially compared to all my previous jobs where I would work my *$$ off for minimum wage. Here I get paid decently and my only job is to make English fun.

I am going to be renewing with them this april.

If you do choose to go with interac, make sure that you have at LEAST $5000 cash before you go to Japan. The first 3 months are quite hard because you don't get paid until after about 2.5 months of work. Housing fees alone was $1500 deposit/key + ($500 rent x2months). Then you need to have money for your food (which is twice as expensive as US), utilities, transportation, products to fill your empty house, and money for alcohol. Speaking of alcohol, the first week and a half of training drained my wallet quick because I went out partying every night with the other alts. (spent about $1000 in that week) In general, I have found that alts from interac party alot harder than jet alts. But Jets do have some fairly cool parties. I would suggest joining the your local jet chapter so you can check out their celebrations.

I hope someone finds this information useful.

PM / E-mail me if you have questions

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » March 10th, 2008 3:23 am

Good to hear that someone likes them. Other than the apartment problems I'm having with them, they've seem to be alright.

They've given me an 8:30 - 5:15 schedule so I find it laughable that they expect me to work only 29.5 hours. I will be working at 2 - 3 high schools so it may be possible that I will have breaks during the day for lunch and commute time between schools.

Well I won't be buying much furniture, and will take advantage of the 100yen shops, and craigslist. As far as alcohol, a couple of drinks on Friday night will be all I'll do until I start getting paid. I hate American food, so no great loss there! I'll have to get used to cooking without an oven though.

Why do they cut your pay during Aug and Dec? Are the schools completely shut down during that time? What about holidays? Do they always expect you to do everything with them or give you a private life?

rospy
New in Town

Postby rospy » March 10th, 2008 4:34 am

Oh so you did decided to go with interac after all? When do you / did you start?
I am currently working at 2 high schools. My main school is M-F and the other I work for half a day on friday. If you get 2 schools you will probably get a car. I am soooo very very happy that I have a car in my rural area. (with no local train, only shinkansin)

Also, when you do go shopping, go to the pawn shoppes (Japanese call them 'recycle shops')

Where prefecture are you (or will you be) in?

As for holidays, we get paid 75%. I pretty sure thats accurate. Anyway, we get a big break in august, and dec/jan. We also get a smaller one in march/april break.

And No, schools are not shut down during that time. Teachers do get some break periods, but generally, the ALT gets off a few days before and a few days after the teachers.

And again, I am GENERALLY happy with interac. They definately have their quirks, and my branch manager, Matthew, REALLY gets on my nerves sometimes. Training kinda bites because they mostly teach you how to teach elementary students when most of us alt are teaching high school. makes no sense to me.

We do some interac bashing on facebook sometimes if someone has a good story and needs to vent.

If you get put into Miyagi prefecture, you should meet up with us ^_^

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » March 10th, 2008 4:42 am

I'll be in the Yokohama area so I won't need a car. I figure any business has its good and bad sides. The good side is it's 30 min/hour away from Tokyo. :D

Interac also didn't give a rat's behind about Berlitz's opinion about me, while other schools did. (long story!) Besides, they seem like the only ones who teach in high schools that are not JET.

rospy
New in Town

Postby rospy » March 10th, 2008 4:59 am

I've been requesting to move to the Tokyo / Saitiama region but looks like I was rejected again. So now I'll have to wait a year before the opportunity to change to Tokyo. Grrr...

Next time I am going to 'remind' them every week starting in december.

That is if I decide to stay another year.

Are you still working for Berlitz?
I pretty sure with interac, you can work for another company, just keep interac your main.

Well, i typically go to Tokyo once a month, (twice this month) so maybe we can meet up sometime. If other interacs decide to come too, then I'll definately let you know where we'll be pubbin.

Have you started working already? or do you start in April?

PM me your cell phone e-mail sometime so I can keep you updated on when we go to Tokyo.

and yes, I think interac is the only company who works for the public school boards. (Jet is a government organization)

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » March 10th, 2008 5:09 am

I will be in Japan next week. No Berlitz hired someone else when I interview with the Tokyo branch. I had my visa canceled with Berlitz because Interac couldn't use it. Go figure.

Sure, when I get settled in, I'll send you an email.

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”