Or sign up using Facebook

For future Game Designers

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

laughinghyena21
Established Presence

For future Game Designers

Postby laughinghyena21 » February 3rd, 2007 7:41 am

Hey Mina,

I am currently going to school for Video game Design (3d character modeling and animation) I read some of the threads of how job hunting can get bleek. I was curious if its just as bad for those who want to venture into video games.

I can get a job here in the US when I am done. But my heart wants to work in japan and live there in the meantime.

I was wondering if anyone would have some kind of figure of how good of chance game designers have to make in Japan.

Doumo

Ja ne

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: For future Game Designers

Postby Bueller_007 » February 3rd, 2007 8:48 am

laughinghyena21 wrote:Hey Mina,

I am currently going to school for Video game Design (3d character modeling and animation) I read some of the threads of how job hunting can get bleek. I was curious if its just as bad for those who want to venture into video games.

I can get a job here in the US when I am done. But my heart wants to work in japan and live there in the meantime.

I was wondering if anyone would have some kind of figure of how good of chance game designers have to make in Japan.

Doumo

Ja ne

Complete speculation, but I'm sorry to say that your chances are probably pretty bleak. There are tons of highly-trained Japanese people able to do this job. Unless you are exceptionally talented, there's little reason for a Japanese company to hire you, especially since there'll be a language/culture barrier in dealing with a foreigner that they wouldn't have if they hired a native.

Get 40% OFF
laughinghyena21
Established Presence

Postby laughinghyena21 » February 3rd, 2007 7:20 pm

Very understandable. As long as I can get the chance just to go and enjoy it, then Ill take that over nothing.

Doumo

Ja Ne

BMHnl
New in Town

Postby BMHnl » February 6th, 2007 9:53 am

You must not forget that since the Japanese gaming market is shrinking and the western gaming market is growing more and more Japanese gaming companies are creating more wersterny games. Just look at Capcom. They closed down their best studio (clover) cause they created games that didn't sell well in the western world.. Now their creating games with themes that are more populair in the western/american world (Dead rising (zombies), Lost Planet(Starship troopers) etc). The need for western designers and artist might/will grow over time.

laughinghyena21
Established Presence

Postby laughinghyena21 » February 6th, 2007 8:08 pm

BMHnl wrote:You must not forget that since the Japanese gaming market is shrinking and the western gaming market is growing more and more Japanese gaming companies are creating more wersterny games. Just look at Capcom. They closed down their best studio (clover) cause they created games that didn't sell well in the western world.. Now their creating games with themes that are more populair in the western/american world (Dead rising (zombies), Lost Planet(Starship troopers) etc). The need for western designers and artist might/will grow over time.

Sad really. I love Capcom too. Oh well I guess time will tell. But I feel that if we (game designer) can bring a new way and ideas how to appeal the sides, then everyone wins. Cause I am in the middle of making a RPG, since Japan loves a good RPG. And as well in the middle of a making a very kick ass FPS. In which both, I very excited of getting them up and running.

Here is to good games from both sides of the coin.

kempai!!!!!!!

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”