a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Insecurities and New Schemes

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Tejou
New in Town

Insecurities and New Schemes

Postby Tejou » January 22nd, 2007 4:32 am

I always considered a gaijin fluent enough in japanese would get some bonus points but it doesn't seem to come with many bells and whistles from what I've read in the forums here. I acutally plan on going to Japan to live in a bout two years time, after graudation.

I've realized also that Jpod forums are a good place for eexpressing fears and doubts. I'm mainly African American and look a great deal like it and I don't know how if it'll render my pursuits in Japan useless. I can't do Bueller_007's hillarious seeming "white monkey dance" but I do find myself to be very amusing. At the moment, half for a love of music, a quarter for self-confidence gain and a quarter for kicks, I'm indulging in a music career in J-rock or J-pop with some friends.

I've got this fear of getting old and wasting time I'm trying to get rid of, but I still tend to rush into my career goals and the like. I'm sixteen, a junior in high school majoring in journalism. At first I didn't want to go to college, and then I schemed this plan to take English in college and teach it in Japan. Recently, though, I've been given a chance at an internship/boot camp sort of deal at Reuters, the world's second largest news publication agency after my essay was accepted. Is it possible, you think, to take this oppurtunity and run with it? Are there any advantages to being a journalist with Japanese language skills? What do you all think? Better chances at success than teaching English?

Sorry for the winded post~

JohnCBriggs
Expert on Something

Postby JohnCBriggs » January 22nd, 2007 12:50 pm

Tejouさん,
I am sorry to say that I have hear reports of black people (African American if you prefer) having trouble getting language teaching jobs in Japan. There is some assumption (unfounded) that black people will have a stronger dialect than white people.
Perhaps you can find someone to confirm or reject this type of bias among the Japanese.
Thanks
John C. Briggs

Get 40% OFF
Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » January 22nd, 2007 2:23 pm

A fear of getting old when you're still 16 wow...

For the experiences of African Americans in Japan you might like to check out
http://sistaintokyo.blogs.com/
and
http://www.blacktokyo.com/

Go to college. Take any oppurtunity and run with it. There's no reason why a journalist can't do the TEFL thing if needs be. I think you could do a TEFL course as an extra afterwards or as part of your degree studies.

I'd say getting a university degree is important, no matter what it is in. (No matter where you end up a degree will be useful) And it might be even more important to have a degree than to speak Japanese to get a job in Japan. And with a degree you can apply for the JET program which seems like a good way in to live and work in Japan for a few years.

From what I've read about it, being a foriegn journalist in Japan isn't easy. The problem is access to people. I think you'd need to be part of an organisation if you want to do anything other than soft features.

Outkast
Expert on Something

Postby Outkast » January 22nd, 2007 7:27 pm

Also try here: http://www.outpostnine.com/forum/

The guy who runs the forum and associated blog is a black guy who's been doing the teaching thing for a few years now. While his experiences haven't exactly been 'normal', he's definitely proof that it can be done.

Another more general note: Never underestimate the power of contacts in Japan. Even if your ethnicity initially makes it more difficult to establish relationships with other people, work your rear off to do it. This would apply for journalism in particular, and every thing else in general. The result is that your will have lasting, solid connections to people who will go out of there way to help you. Big names also mean a lot. If possible, definitely pursue the Reuters opportunity. Additionally, Reuters has a Japan branch, so you might even move on to find work with them. Regardless, being able to link yourself with a global media group like them will help to establish your credentials in Japan.

Always remember that you are an asset; don't worry if other people consider your skills valuable or not. Something I always hear is how Japan already has enough Japanese-speaking gaijin with college degrees. So don't think of yourself that way. Get your skill set down at college, and while being willing to adapt or work a little harder, also remember that you can pickup and go elsewhere to another location that could use your skills. Good luck with it.

JonB
Expert on Something

Apart from any other reason

Postby JonB » January 23rd, 2007 7:13 am

You will pretty much need a degree to get a visa to work in Japan - or 10 years related experience. If you've got both they will still ask to see your degree certificate - even if it is in an unrelated field...

Jornalism in Japan is prety much a closed shop - so I hear. Sure there must be something for foreign reporters in Japan because you see them on CNN or BBC World all the time - but they do tend to be the same front man...

I would go with Belton's advice get a degree and you can always use TEFL as a backup option.

I can't comment on the whole teaching English thing as that's not me or anyone that I know out here.

Good Luck
JonB

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » January 23rd, 2007 9:33 am

I've gotten several emails about jobs with various Japanese news services (working in the US) in the last few months. They don't look for Japanese speaking abilitiy necessarily, but it would definitely be an advantage. Most of the foreigners you see on tv here are more comedians than journalists.

There is some discrimination here against non-white foreigners, but it's not as bad as it used to be. And it will still be easier for you to find a job than for an Asian American. But the college degree is really a necessity.

You're 16. Don't worry too much about the future. Things have a way of working themselves out. Are you asking if you should choose an internship over college? There's no reason you shouldn't be able to do both.

I've recommended a gap year between high school and college to many high school students. It would give you a chance to decide what you really want to get out of college and you'll likely be more focused once you start.

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”