a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Rosetta Stone Software?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Napster921
New in Town

Rosetta Stone Software?

Postby Napster921 » October 19th, 2006 12:57 pm

I've heard radio advertisements about the "Rosetta Stone Software". I researched it and found out you can use it to learn Japanese. Does anyone know if this is a good program? It's very expensive.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Rosetta Stone Software?

Postby Bueller_007 » October 19th, 2006 11:44 pm

Napster921 wrote:I've heard radio advertisements about the "Rosetta Stone Software". I researched it and found out you can use it to learn Japanese. Does anyone know if this is a good program? It's very expensive.

I have it for Vietnamese and French, but I rarely use it.

Not promoting piracy, but it's not worth the money. If you can find a copy for free somewhere, it might be worth your time.

Also, it doesn't really help you out much with reading/writing. It assumes you already know the writing system of the target language when you start.

Get 40% OFF
seanolan
Expert on Something

Postby seanolan » October 20th, 2006 1:30 am

Yeah, I have to agree with Bueller_007 (this is becoming a frightening trend which we need to do something about!) I "acquired" the Rosetta Stone software and its Japanese module and it was, IMHO, not worth the "money" I "spent" on it. For beginners, I'd recommend the Instant Immersion stuff, as well as Human Japanese (excellent beginner course; you'll have about 400 words and basic grammar down in about 3 weeks if you go with Human Japanese and practice about 2 hours a day, 10 hours a week, I'd say) You can usually find those programs bundled together, with an AWESOME Japanese dictionary called JQuickTrans for your computer. For intermediate, well, I'm still looking myself...if anyone has some good programs for intermediate, recommendations are welcome... :D

Sean

Napster921
New in Town

Postby Napster921 » October 20th, 2006 3:05 pm

asd
Last edited by Napster921 on July 24th, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nate
Been Around a Bit

Human Japanese huh.

Postby Nate » October 23rd, 2006 4:47 pm

Cool information. I hadn't heard of either of these programs. I will check them out and see if they help me.

I have found the RS cumbersome. I did pick up some vocabulary, but not much help in reading or writing Japanese.

Nate

stonemirror
New in Town

A Contrasting View...

Postby stonemirror » October 31st, 2006 3:40 pm

I actually like the Rosetta Stone software (although it's admittedly expensive). RS uses an immersion approach, and this works well for a lot of people--it works well for me--but not for everyone. I wouldn't use it as my sole approach to learning Japanese, but I think it's really helpful used along with, say, JapanesePod101 and a decent basic text book.

It's definitely possibly to learn to recognize a bunch of kanji using Rosetta Stone, but you have to do a little more leg work: the printing in the RS textbook is small, and the choice of screenfonts is occasionally hard to read for very dense kanji. A good kanji dictionary, like Kodansha's, is indispensible here (but t should be anyway, if you're trying to learn to read Japanese)...

(And, as a professional software developer, I don't encourage the "acquisition" of software. Go to the mall, there's usually an RS kiosk, try it out, or try out a friend's copy or something...)

ssocko123
New in Town

Postby ssocko123 » February 13th, 2007 8:42 am

___
Last edited by ssocko123 on May 17th, 2007 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

kessler
New in Town

Rosetta Stone

Postby kessler » February 18th, 2007 2:45 pm

Rosetta Stone is just okay, not worth the money. In addition, my wife is convinced they use non Japanese Speakers. Even I can hear a difference in the accent. I have it, but rarely use it.

bshock
New in Town

Rosetta Stone? Probably not

Postby bshock » March 12th, 2007 10:48 pm

The Rosetta Stone software is based on the idea of building your vocabulary and grammar the way a child would do so, from the ground up, associating images with sounds. While this is interesting, I don't consider its effectiveness a foregone conclusion. As an adult, I use very different learning strategies from those I had as a child. Further, I'm fairly certain that I am incapable of learning things with the openness and intensity I had as a child.

jaypunkrawk
Established Presence

Postby jaypunkrawk » March 21st, 2007 11:35 pm

I had them send me the demo of Rosetta Stone...which actually features quite a lot for each language. However, I found mistakes in the Japanese lessons. The text said 女の人 when the picture and the audio were clearly 女の子. That made me decide it wasn't worth my money. Such a stupid mistake. I'm gonna stick with the Japanese Pod 101 podcasts and my Japanese For Everyone textbook I received way back in high school for taking 2nd place at the Japanese speech contest. Does the CIA really use Rosetta Stone? Seems like they'd have something better up their collective sleeve.
ジョシュ

Nakor
New in Town

Postby Nakor » April 6th, 2007 8:19 am

Well I'm still really new to Japanese, but I find RS to be very useful. I find that it doesn't help me at all with reading or writting, but with listening and speaking it helps a great deal. As with anything new you are learning, you should never limit yourself to one single resource.

:D

Outkast
Expert on Something

Postby Outkast » April 6th, 2007 5:20 pm

jaypunkrawk wrote:I had them send me the demo of Rosetta Stone...which actually features quite a lot for each language. However, I found mistakes in the Japanese lessons. The text said 女の人 when the picture and the audio were clearly 女の子. That made me decide it wasn't worth my money. Such a stupid mistake. I'm gonna stick with the Japanese Pod 101 podcasts and my Japanese For Everyone textbook I received way back in high school for taking 2nd place at the Japanese speech contest. Does the CIA really use Rosetta Stone? Seems like they'd have something better up their collective sleeve.

Government offices primarily just hire native speakers to teach their employees. If they're saying that they use Rosetta Stone, then it's probably just an advertising ploy...

Nakor
New in Town

Postby Nakor » April 7th, 2007 8:17 am

Outkast wrote:Government offices primarily just hire native speakers to teach their employees. If they're saying that they use Rosetta Stone, then it's probably just an advertising ploy...

Or maybe they mean that they use the same technique (but not nessicarily the program itself.) I'm not sure though because I was looking at http://www.rosettastone.com/en/government/ and it says "Rosetta Stone is the #1 language-learning software program in the world. It is used successfully by the U.S. Special Operations Forces, West Point, NASA, and the U.S. State Department, as well as millions of people in 150 countries. " so they do seem to clearly state that it's used by them. I'd doubt it's used in any important capacity however. Probably this is how they do early training, or training of people they don't care about as much. Then again this is pure speculation on my part.

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”