Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Reccomendation for a GREAT Japanese app.

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

R3belD0gg
Been Around a Bit

Reccomendation for a GREAT Japanese app.

Postby R3belD0gg » December 8th, 2013 5:07 pm

There is an app for iOS that is simply called Japanese. It's by Renzo, Inc and is probably my single most valued resource at the moment (aside from Jpod, もちろん。)

It is basically a dictionary but has many great features. You can search words by English, romaji, kanji or kana. It will usually find the word you want even if you enter it in a conjugated form. Dictionary entries include all conjugations, romaji, kanji, kanji alternatives, kanji breakdowns (with animated stroke order) tons of example sentences (with furigana!)

There is a search history, which is great when you look up a word then later can't remember it (like me.) You can add notes and make word lists. Tap the kanji that float by on the Discover screen and be taken to it's page. There are options for studying vocabulary and kanji. Browse words by lexical categories or classifications. There is a JLPT section, but I haven't used that yet...

Switch to Japanese input and speak the word you want to look up. Hell, speak the whole sentence, the dictionary will do it's best to break the entire thing down and display the words.

It's about $5.99 on iTunes, I use it literally EVERY day. About the only thing I could see making it better would be if it could speak. I would love that, and maybe record your voice and let the app judge your pronunciation... That would be awesome.

I have no affiliation with the makers of the app, I usually don't even review or rate apps. This app is just THAT good, I have to spread the word a bit!

Their site: http://japaneseapp.com/
iTunes link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/japanese/id290664053

Tracel
Expert on Something

Re: Reccomendation for a GREAT Japanese app.

Postby Tracel » December 9th, 2013 2:11 am

R3belD0gg wrote:There is an app for iOS that is simply called Japanese. It's by Renzo, Inc and is probably my single most valued resource at the moment (aside from Jpod, もちろん。)

It is basically a dictionary but has many great features. You can search words by English, romaji, kanji or kana. It will usually find the word you want even if you enter it in a conjugated form. Dictionary entries include all conjugations, romaji, kanji, kanji alternatives, kanji breakdowns (with animated stroke order) tons of example sentences (with furigana!)

There is a search history, which is great when you look up a word then later can't remember it (like me.) You can add notes and make word lists. Tap the kanji that float by on the Discover screen and be taken to it's page. There are options for studying vocabulary and kanji. Browse words by lexical categories or classifications. There is a JLPT section, but I haven't used that yet...

Switch to Japanese input and speak the word you want to look up. Hell, speak the whole sentence, the dictionary will do it's best to break the entire thing down and display the words.

It's about $5.99 on iTunes, I use it literally EVERY day. About the only thing I could see making it better would be if it could speak. I would love that, and maybe record your voice and let the app judge your pronunciation... That would be awesome.

I have no affiliation with the makers of the app, I usually don't even review or rate apps. This app is just THAT good, I have to spread the word a bit!

Their site: http://japaneseapp.com/
iTunes link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/japanese/id290664053

I totally agree with you. I have this App too, and if I had to choose a dictionary for Japanese, I would settle on this one. It even beats out JDic, which is the old, free standby that is also pretty amazing. Did you know that you can also use it to look up a kanji by 'writing' it into the interface? Very useful if you are at a loss as to how to pronounce the kanji. Only drawback is, of course, that it is an Apple based product and I don't think that it works with other interfaces unfortunately.

Great learning APP.

とら
:blob:
ごきげんよう、
トラセル

Get 40% OFF
R3belD0gg
Been Around a Bit

Postby R3belD0gg » December 9th, 2013 2:18 am

Yeah, I forgot to mention the kanji lookup. You can search by handwriting, with suggestions as you write in case you're not sure of the stroke order, as well as search by radicals.

Yeah, I wish they'd do an Android app since I plan on not getting another iPhone whenever I decide to get a new phone. Unfortunately their website describes them as a developer for iOS and Mac. :/

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » December 16th, 2013 10:50 am

R3belD0gg-san, トラsan,
kon'nichiwa! :D

Thank you very much for sharing the info and opinions here!
I'm sure many of J-Pod listeners would appreciate it :wink:

Natsuko (奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”