a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Japanese Scrabble

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

videovillain
Been Around a Bit

Re: Japanese Scrabble

Postby videovillain » July 23rd, 2013 3:38 am

Action Script isn't too hard to pick up. It's the perfect language/platform to make this type of game too!
Good luck!

cloa513ch2629
Established Presence

Postby cloa513ch2629 » July 23rd, 2013 8:45 am

I am struggling with conceptual side- whether to show kana as text or images. I have image files but they aren't great.

Get 40% OFF
videovillain
Been Around a Bit

Postby videovillain » July 23rd, 2013 2:34 pm

I'd suggest doing it as tiles that can show anything you give it, from text, and images, to video. Each tile would be an object (object oriented programming object, meaning a class) and then you could show anything you want (like if you change it from hiragana to katakana or kanji or a different language), or you could even use the tile class in a different game!

I'd focus on the game logic first. Build a game engine that handles, modifies, and stores game states as well as an analyzer that checks placed tiles for correctness and player turn info.
Then I'd create the tile class and give it all the attributes and functionality I'd want it to have, like is_flipped, flip(), assign_display(variable), etc.
Then I'd design a player class that would hold onto player information, including tiles.
Then I'd make a user interface to display information then start tweaking until I had a demo running.

team.relationships
Expert on Something

Postby team.relationships » July 24th, 2013 6:58 am

Hi Cloa-san and Videovillain-san,

Please Cloa-san, don't give up, this is a very interesting game!
I hope that you will manage to finish it with the pecious help of Videovillain-san!

By the way, thank you Videovillain-san!

I'm looking forward to testing the new version!

Mélanie
Team JapanesePod101.com

cloa513ch2629
Established Presence

Postby cloa513ch2629 » July 30th, 2013 8:05 am

videovillain wrote:I'd suggest doing it as tiles that can show anything you give it, from text, and images, to video. Each tile would be an object (object oriented programming object, meaning a class) and then you could show anything you want (like if you change it from hiragana to katakana or kanji or a different language), or you could even use the tile class in a different game!

I'd focus on the game logic first. Build a game engine that handles, modifies, and stores game states as well as an analyzer that checks placed tiles for correctness and player turn info.
Then I'd create the tile class and give it all the attributes and functionality I'd want it to have, like is_flipped, flip(), assign_display(variable), etc.
Then I'd design a player class that would hold onto player information, including tiles.
Then I'd make a user interface to display information then start tweaking until I had a demo running.

I was thinking I'd try to make it intuitive so different from before.
Basically it would start with a setup scene- initially only number of players and you either enter a number of players or press Enter to play a single player game.

Graphics requirement- primitive. Collision- primitive.
I am using FlashDevelop.
There is a board that I have created before.
I am going to have a side box from which tiles are created from each turn and that you can return tiles to the Box or for either exchange with simpler Kana, or Kanji Tile or just to hide at the end of your turn.
There is mode setter button to get the type of return.

After you click the box button (which says click to deal), mode goes to blank and the first seven tiles are created.
You click and drag and double click to set in position.
When I get to calculate it could either be array
So far I have some code to do click and drag and double click to set in place on the board or Box.
I have formed the arrays to create the data needed for each tile instance.

Is the way to basically set these variables from one sprite to another, custom events or is there some simpler way given real time information transfer is hardly necessary.

Any thoughts?

videovillain
Been Around a Bit

Postby videovillain » August 11th, 2013 4:10 pm

I'm not sure I fully understand your question. But I'd need more information about your Player class, Tile class, and Game Board in order to answer what I think is your question.

Also, to be honest, it seems tedious to make the person click & hold to drag a tile, and then double click to drop... just make it so you click once to grab a tile, the tile now follows the position of the mouse, and when you click again, it drops it in the given tile area, or if not a valid area, drops it back with your other unused tiles.

cloa513ch2629
Established Presence

Postby cloa513ch2629 » August 11th, 2013 11:06 pm

Double click is to set it in place on the board or on the input area - I think the game needs some signal to say its set in place on the board.

I don't see how you do it with
snapClip_mc.x = mouseX - mouseX%size;
snapClip_mc.y = mouseY - mouseY%size;

size is 32 for my game.
Also:
When I play Scrabble, it a bit tactile- muck around with tiles to form trial words then decide what word to finally place. While there technically a limited number of slots on the Scrabble available at any time that would be difficult to implement as it would force the players to maybe start from the end or middle and then work outwards so I think its better to just let players decide themselves if the word is rightly placed or do a check when they are done placing the word.

The screen size is pretty large without any border- 544 wide by 480 pixels so I am trying to limit its area by not adding any extra working area.

Want to talk more directly- my anonymous email address is .

videovillain
Been Around a Bit

Postby videovillain » August 12th, 2013 8:06 am

Turn your tile into a movie clip and have that movie clip change to the position of the mouse after clicking a tile. Then, after clicking again, remove the movie clip and place the tile in the area using the same code you've already posted.

As for the double-click, it is not required. If you want something to indicate they are ready for the game to check their tile placements, then just make a button that does that. They start placing tiles, then click the "Finished" button and the game analyzes their tiles. If the placement is bad, let the player know, if the vocab doesn't exist, let the player know. Also have an undo button so they can undo tile placements. Or just let them pick up and put down tiles anywhere they want.

I don't mind using this medium for chatting about your game. Open source is always the best way to go!

cloa513ch2629
Established Presence

Postby cloa513ch2629 » August 12th, 2013 9:31 am

How does having MovieClips help?

My concept is allow them to move the tiles anywhere- just click and drag and release and when they are ready to place double click- one fluid motion if you want to.

If you haven't noticed we are only ones interested in this thread and this forum is hardly lively anyway. If you want to suggest a forum that will get more interest- I don't mind talking there.

videovillain
Been Around a Bit

Postby videovillain » August 13th, 2013 12:06 pm

Actually, we could try https://github.com/ I've signed up but never tried to use it. Basically, it would be a repository for the code base for your game and you could assign users to be able to view and/or modify it to get help with it, etc. At least, that is my understanding of the site. Let me know what you think.

MovieClips are not necessarily so helpful, they are just one way for you to change the mouse into a token during placement, if you weren't already doing that, but my guess is you are since you answered this way.

Sadly, these forums are not very lively. They need to rework their entire forum system and I've been thinking about ways to help them. I've been working on some ideas for them that I'll eventually pitch to them. Maybe they'll like it and give me a job to do it for them, lol!

cloa513ch2629
Established Presence

Postby cloa513ch2629 » August 13th, 2013 12:41 pm

I was thinking of doing with Textfield- I assume I have to set its position to be the same position on the Tile- could just do it while clicked down on. Have to use Textfield set to TextInput to set Kanji anyway. Apparently Textfield has good support for Foreign Languages and TextInput works with IME (according to an adobe representative). Can you answer this question please- Can you put functions in separate AS files- do you have any special reference in the class? Why do tutorials never do that? In particular reference the current work that I have has one errant } syntax error but its had to pin down.

Altering the forum structures isn't going to help if people aren't interested in contributing though I do think it could simply do with much less subforums to maximise the little interest that there is. Incidentally I belong to eng-tips.com and bridgebase.com/forum and they are both generally pretty lively but they still have some close to dead subforums.

videovillain
Been Around a Bit

Postby videovillain » August 14th, 2013 1:19 am

cloa513ch2629 wrote:Can you answer this question please- Can you put functions in separate AS files- do you have any special reference in the class? Why do tutorials never do that? In particular reference the current work that I have has one errant } syntax error but its had to pin down.

AS3 is Object Oriented, you should be using it like an object oriented language.
Also, you should not be writing AS from Flash (if that's what you're doing). You should get either A) Flash Builder (costs money) or Flash Develop (free).

cloa513ch2629 wrote:Altering the forum structures isn't going to help if people aren't interested in contributing though I do think it could simply do with much less subforums to maximise the little interest that there is.

Altering the structures isn't part of the idea on how to get people interested in the forums, but it is part of how to keep them interested once here. I have ideas to get more people interested, ideas to keep them interested, and also some ideas about consolidation.

cloa513ch2629
Established Presence

Postby cloa513ch2629 » August 14th, 2013 1:40 am

I am using Flash develop but you really haven't answered my question about functions. By the way I find FlashDevelop not helpful in the following ways- the autocomplete is incomplete and noncontext relevant. E.g. every time I try to specify a Vector type of variable- it tries to force me write Vector3D and equally doesn't whether I am filling in an import statement (which I also sure that's type is also incomplete even though missing only basic Adobe built function library) or some other part of code. Can you turn that junk off? Also the tabbing doesn't work right.

You could describe your ideas in a vague sort of way- I assume specific for JapanesePod101 to get a job. I don't think they are good with all parts of web design since one of their parent companies has limited English on the English form of their website even its supposed to be translation company. Ever tried finding operating hours (of the company) on this website.

videovillain
Been Around a Bit

Postby videovillain » August 14th, 2013 5:01 am

cloa513ch2629 wrote:I am using Flash develop but you really haven't answered my question about functions. By the way I find FlashDevelop not helpful in the following ways- the autocomplete is incomplete and noncontext relevant. E.g. every time I try to specify a Vector type of variable- it tries to force me write Vector3D and equally doesn't whether I am filling in an import statement (which I also sure that's type is also incomplete even though missing only basic Adobe built function library) or some other part of code. Can you turn that junk off? Also the tabbing doesn't work right.

To be honest, I don't haven't used FlashDevelop extensively, so I'm not sure I can help you solve those annoyances.

As for the functions, if you want to add functionality to a class in a separate file without modifying the original class code, then the answer is no, you can't extend functionality of an already defined class in a separate .as file.

However, you can achieve the same effect through inheritance, allowing you to add methods and variables in separate .as files where new classes will be treated like a separate class with its own name. You can learn more about it here: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/actionscript.html
Last edited by videovillain on August 14th, 2013 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

cloa513ch2629
Established Presence

Postby cloa513ch2629 » August 14th, 2013 5:28 am

Then its not really object orientated- functions are objects too- actually almost discrete expression is an object.

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”