Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Should I get an iPod Touch or Something Else in Japan?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

JeanOfmArc
Been Around a Bit

Should I get an iPod Touch or Something Else in Japan?

Postby JeanOfmArc » May 1st, 2009 4:40 am

Hello everyone!

I just found out recently that I've been accepted into the JET programme, a dream of mine for the past 4 years now! :) The only reason I hadn't before was because I was getting my degrees.

Anyhow, one thing that is really important to me is learning the language (hence even being at this site), and I would like to have a good electronic dictionary to use while I'm there.

Originally I thought of getting one of those electronic dictionaries like the Canon Wordtank, but that has more features than I'll probably ever get to using, costs a lot, and is uni-purpose. Meanwhile, the iPod Touch has loads of Japanese-learning software, PLUS lots of other applications.

My question is, is this a good idea, or should I wait until Japan to get something else? I've heard that the iPhone isn't selling well in Japan because it's not really concurrent with the technology they have there. Should I be just waiting to get some all-in-one device from there that's a lot better, or is an iPod Touch a good investment?

Another reason I ask is that although I'm not tied down to a cell phone here, things might be different over there. I don't know if I'd need to be contacted all the time, but it would be nice if I could use the device at least for VoIP when in a wireless area.

I'd appreciate the advice!

Jean Of mArc

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » May 1st, 2009 8:13 am

I would say that if you're going to be here for awhile getting yourself an iPhone is a good choice. It has all the features of the iPod Touch plus it's a phone - and it has the ability to run applications like Skype when in a wireless area. Just be aware that generally the require a two year contract.
Last edited by jkid on May 1st, 2009 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
JapanesePod101.com - Forum Admin
Learn Japanese with FREE Daily Podcasts

http://www.japanesepod101.com
contactus@japanesepod101.com

Get 40% OFF
Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » May 1st, 2009 9:39 am

IPod touch/iPhone is definitely a good choice. There's a choice of dictionaries which work really well, same with flashcard applications, and there are a bunch of cool apps for various different purposes, like J Idioms, which helps you learn 101 idiomatic common phrases. This means with the right setup, you can get some of the more important parts of your studying out of the way during time that would otherwise be wasted (on the bus/train, generally waiting around, etc).

I think the cheapest electronic dictionary with character input functionality is around the same price, and obviously the iPod/iPhone has a whole load of functionality in addition to the apps (the web browsing is awesome), so you definitely get your money's worth.

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » May 1st, 2009 11:34 am

Congratulations on the JET thing - see you at the orientation!

I have no idea about the iPhone, but if you've got a DS, there's a Japanese-English dictionary available for it (this one) that might be another cheap alternative to a dedicated device.

JeanOfmArc
Been Around a Bit

Postby JeanOfmArc » May 1st, 2009 2:13 pm

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replies! I am more confident in getting an iPod Touch now.

I've considered an iPhone, but I'm not really sure if I'd like to get a contract with them or not. If I could just do Skype in wireless areas, that would be fine for my purposes.

I do have a Nintendo DS... that program looks interesting. It might not be good for me right now though if the interface and such is all in Japanese though...

I'll give it a bit more investigation before making a final decision, but your responses are all very helpful! Thanks!!!

ryowarrior18
Been Around a Bit

Postby ryowarrior18 » May 3rd, 2009 8:51 pm

I definitely recommend an itouch or an iphone. I just got my itouch, and its been amazing in how much EASIER it is to learn with. I no longer have to cart around Japanese books and dictionaries. It all fits right into my coat pocket. And instead of flipping through 2-3 books at once, a couple clicks on the itouch works wonders. If the applications dont answer my questions, within 3 seconds, im online and surfing the web for answers.

Plus, you can pull it out any time easily to use within minutes, instead of pulling out books where you have to sit to read them easily.

Not only do the itouch applications work really well (and a lot of them have free trial versions so you can test them) there's also the ability to listen to Japanese audio anywhere. This helps wonders with listening and just getting the feel for the language. I have several Japanese podcasts on mine that I listen to. I also have Japanese audio books, and all of these came free!

Also, j-pod lesson notes show right up on the screen, so you can look at the vocab, and the lesson dialogue without having to log online or print out any of the pdfs.

I thought that the itouch was worth its money and more.

Also, I tried using the DS with things like Japanese Coach, and etc. I didn't enjoy that particular game very much because it got rather boring after lesson 23 or so. But with the new DSi having wifi connection, maybe its worth it. Truthfully, I think the itouch apps are much more helpful than Japanese Coach. There are more of them, so you can pick if you need a kanji flashcard program, or a grammar program, instead of relying on only one program.

However, I dont know how well the itouch works in Japan, so maybe you should talk to someone who uses one in Japan before buying one. Because it'd be a shame to buy it, invest time and money into apps and flashcard programs, and then move over there to discover it doesn't work. Especially when you're hoping to using it to help you navigate in the Japanese world.

Either way, Congrats on the new job!!!

JeanOfmArc
Been Around a Bit

Postby JeanOfmArc » May 6th, 2009 6:36 pm

Hey ryowarrior18,

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

I don't see why the iPod Touch's wireless wouldn't work over there, but you're right, good to make sure first. I'll leave a quick post on it.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 12th, 2009 2:49 am

I guess this could be on a similar note:

I barely use my phone, but I use my iPod all the time. I'm debating whether or not to get an iPhone if a new model comes out. I'm not very happy with my current phone, mainly because I'm not fluent in Japanese, but also I have very few friends here that actually call me. I do email alot to people in the states, and want to be able to email my parents on a more regular basis.

What is the most cost effective solution? I'm currently spending about 6000 yen on a phone that I barely use. I'd rather spend that on something better.

Thanks!

mieth
Expert on Something

Postby mieth » May 13th, 2009 2:01 pm

Umm I going to go against the crowd and recommend that you get a sharp papyrus. They are a little bit expensive about 350 or so but the screen on them is crystal clear and easy to read. Most dictionaries have an avocado color screen that is just physically straining to look, especially when you have to look up lots of information. This dictionary also includes a tv so it is good for listening practice as well as having a very very good kanji recognition software. If you mess up on your stroke order or your writing is a little iffy it will still often times be able to figure out what your are trying to write. The same cant be said for many of the other dictionaries. If you are really truly intent on studying while here, going to a school or what not I just dont see the Ipod touch as a practical solution for processing the sheer amount of information that will be required.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » May 13th, 2009 7:53 pm

mieth wrote:This dictionary also includes a tv so it is good for listening practice as well as having a very very good kanji recognition software. If you mess up on your stroke order or your writing is a little iffy it will still often times be able to figure out what your are trying to write. The same cant be said for many of the other dictionaries. If you are really truly intent on studying while here, going to a school or what not I just dont see the Ipod touch as a practical solution for processing the sheer amount of information that will be required.

You can watch all the videos you want on the iPod with sites like Veoh and Youtube, and offline with the various video podcasts and whatever mp4s you care to put on it yourself, and naturally you can organise all your audio content. The character recognition is also pretty decent, but I personally find it easier to quickly type a word that uses the character instead.

I don't understand what you mean about "processing the sheer amount of information". What am I missing with my iPod? The way I see it is that with the Papyrus, you pay $350, and you get a dictionary. How does that help you "process information" more than any other dictionary? I have three dictionary apps that cost a total of about $20, and I have no problems finding out words that I want to know when I want to know them. I'm not sure what else a dictionary is supposed to do.

What puts the iPod way out ahead, in my opinion, is that it isn't just a dictionary, and it can help with your studies in all sorts of ways. I make grammar flashcards with Mental Case, drill vocabulary with JapaneseFlip, sync my kanji decks with iAnki, read free books and cheap manga, and learn bits and pieces with the other various apps that took my fancy, something no other dictionary can offer. If you're serious about studying, then you can't survive without flashcards, and having thousands of them in your pocket wherever you are is invaluable.

mieth
Expert on Something

Postby mieth » May 14th, 2009 12:44 am

Ya Javizy, I completely understand what you are saying with all the software for the ipod being nice but you are already in a situation where you know large amounts of kanji. He is a somewhat new learning who is going to be coming to Japan where if he is in a class or a learning environment where he is going to have to guess and check an entry using only his ears from a teacher or a television or study from work sheets that very often do not have furigana on them. The Kanji recognition is really good. While maybe it is true that the recognition for the ipod might be good you cant use a stylus if Im correct? It needs the heat from your finger? I just don't see it as practical if your are given a work sheet or something and need to be looking up words you dont already know. There was a guy at my language school who used his ipod as his dictionary at the language school I went to and he wasnt able to keep up with the word look up with it. I guess in the end it all depends what kid of study environment the original poster is going to be in (forgot his name).

bruchko
New in Town

iPhone is a must

Postby bruchko » May 14th, 2009 5:00 am

Hi there,
I've been here for almost 6 years in Tokyo and just switched from AU to Softbank and got the iPhone for FREE. You have until 5/31/2009. It has been an excellent choice thus far. I have iPods (2) plus the iPhone and really the iPhone is ALL you need here. The downloads are quick and WiFi spots are on the increase...you should really consider it. And, last of all, the iPhone can go to the USA if you move back; it's also multi-lingual in an instant!!!

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Re: iPhone is a must

Postby untmdsprt » May 14th, 2009 9:06 am

bruchko wrote:Hi there,
I've been here for almost 6 years in Tokyo and just switched from AU to Softbank and got the iPhone for FREE. You have until 5/31/2009. It has been an excellent choice thus far.

http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/iphone_en/everybody/

Free means the 8GB model only. For those who want a bigger iPhone, rumor has it that a 32GB model is coming out soon. http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPhone

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”