a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Anything Better than Anki??

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

ryowarrior18
Been Around a Bit

Anything Better than Anki??

Postby ryowarrior18 » April 17th, 2009 3:15 pm

I was wondering if there was any better Flashcard program for the iTouch than Anki. I can't seem to get Anki to work on my iTouch for some reason (I guess I'm just not tech savvy or something).

So if anyone knows of another good make-your-own flashcard program for the iTouch, that'd be great. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something to make my own word lists to quiz myself on them.

On the other hand, if anyone has patience to walk me through using Anki, that'd be great too. I'm having problems finding the "server" through Safari on my iTouch. Maybe I'm not setting the server correctly? :oops:

Any tips would be great. :)

ggenglish
Been Around a Bit

Postby ggenglish » April 17th, 2009 4:05 pm

i'm a big fan of gflash. its your basic flash card program with the best part being that you create your deck in google docs. A lot easier to manage than the anki deck creation from the last time i used anki.

I think it depends on your philosophy. Anki is cool how it manages your exposure but i think the best way to memorize is simply to just reorganize your own decks.

i have gflash on my blackberry and my itouch.

http://www.gwhizmobile.com/Desktop/gFlash.php

:twisted:

Get 40% OFF
ryowarrior18
Been Around a Bit

Postby ryowarrior18 » April 17th, 2009 4:13 pm

Wow, thanks so much!

This may be exactly what I'm looking for! :D

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » April 20th, 2009 6:56 pm

ggenglish wrote:i'm a big fan of gflash. its your basic flash card program with the best part being that you create your deck in google docs. A lot easier to manage than the anki deck creation from the last time i used anki.

I think it depends on your philosophy. Anki is cool how it manages your exposure but i think the best way to memorize is simply to just reorganize your own decks.

i have gflash on my blackberry and my itouch.

http://www.gwhizmobile.com/Desktop/gFlash.php

:twisted:

Ggenglish-san! :wink:

This is great I also have a Blackberry Storm but no itouch maybe coming soon! :D

Gianz
New in Town

Postby Gianz » May 3rd, 2009 6:40 am

Check out Zen Nihongo also. :)

ChrisClarke
New in Town

Postby ChrisClarke » May 3rd, 2009 7:34 am

Theres a flash card / SRS program called StudyArcade for the iPod touch/iPhone. It can sync with the Anki online service - which syncs with the desktop application - so you can keep the three in sync. It has a free version, with the main limitation being that you can only download 5 fact files from there repository - you can download another 5 after you've studied/reviewed 500 "facts" though. It has some excellent hiragan/katakana cards available in its Discover fact respository each containing 100 cards.

If your short of time or out and about, you can even have it show the character instead of the reading, so even if you can't practice your writing, you can still work on your recognition.

ryowarrior18
Been Around a Bit

Postby ryowarrior18 » May 3rd, 2009 5:02 pm

Does Zen Nihongo let you create your own flashcards to add to current decks, or create your own? I read about it in itunes, and it didn't mention whether you could or not. I'm hoping that you can, because that's what a flashcard program should be about: making your own, as you progress at your own speed.

Also, I did check out Study Arcade, but it seems the creator of that and Damien (creator of Anki) have had a falling out, so I wasn't sure if you could still sync between them, because Damien seemed against it, and wanted that taken off Study Arcade.

I'm not against Anki, it's just that I can't get it to work on my itouch. I would love to use it, but i figure that if I can't get it to even start on my itouch, then I'll have to wrestle with it every time I make a new deck, or try to sync to my computer. There just seems to be a lot of problems associated with it, and I just don't have the time nor the knowledge to fight with it, when I should be spending time studying instead.

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”