Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Read The Kanji - a supplement for JLPT kanji study

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » December 7th, 2008 6:04 am

I've been noticing that the "I've run out of new or review words to show you!" display will remain visible even after selecting a category containing unstudied material. It will disappear after you submit a word/reload the page, but it is a bit of a user-experience issue and I thought I should point it out.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

joeellis
New in Town

Postby joeellis » December 8th, 2008 11:59 pm

wccrawford wrote:
jkid wrote:
Was it in the same session or a day or so afterward?

It was in the same session.

I've had it ask me the same word multiple times in a session, even if I got it right every time. I figured it was just because I didn't have one of the kanji in the word perfected. I can't name any words off the top of my head that did it, but I'll note them next time.

If the system runs out of cards to show you, it will eventually switch to random mode for practice, which may be one of the reasons you were getting repeated cards (the system just happened to pull the same cards at random). It's usually a problem with just JLPT4 as the vocabulary deck is much smaller than the rest. If it happens a lot to you, just let me know, we are still tweaking the settings with the algorithm.

Psy wrote:I've been noticing that the "I've run out of new or review words to show you!" display will remain visible even after selecting a category containing unstudied material. It will disappear after you submit a word/reload the page, but it is a bit of a user-experience issue and I thought I should point it out.

I marked this as a bug, thanks for the heads up!

Get 40% OFF
wccrawford
Expert on Something

Postby wccrawford » December 9th, 2008 12:16 am

joeellis wrote:
wccrawford wrote:I've had it ask me the same word multiple times in a session, even if I got it right every time. I figured it was just because I didn't have one of the kanji in the word perfected. I can't name any words off the top of my head that did it, but I'll note them next time.

If the system runs out of cards to show you, it will eventually switch to random mode for practice, which may be one of the reasons you were getting repeated cards (the system just happened to pull the same cards at random). It's usually a problem with just JLPT4 as the vocabulary deck is much smaller than the rest. If it happens a lot to you, just let me know, we are still tweaking the settings with the algorithm.

As you can see from my screenshots, I haven't even hit all the kanji yet in JLPT 4, so I don't know if this means it ran out of cards or not... But I somehow doubt it means that. (Unless I misunderstand what "Remaining: 6" means on the right.)

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » December 9th, 2008 9:27 pm

:shock: Wow!! I love this site!! I wish I had read more of the forums to learn about this site earlier.

I do have one question, does the site give the correct answer if you get it wrong? It seems like I'll type in my answer, and it just repeats it but gives the answer in red.

wccrawford
Expert on Something

Postby wccrawford » December 9th, 2008 9:31 pm

untmdsprt wrote::shock: Wow!! I love this site!! I wish I had read more of the forums to learn about this site earlier.

I do have one question, does the site give the correct answer if you get it wrong? It seems like I'll type in my answer, and it just repeats it but gives the answer in red.

I think you'll find that each time you answer, it'll give you a new question. If you got the previous one wrong, at the bottom will be the correct answer for the last question in Red. If you get it right, it'll be green.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » December 10th, 2008 12:06 am

I figured out what I was doing wrong. I sometimes leave out a う for a long vowel or just not type the word correctly.

Other than user errors, I love what the author has done with this web site. This will certainly keep me entertained while learning kanji, and the correct spellings. I also love that they will accept hiragana input, and not that god awful romaji.

A bar graph or something similar would be nice to see what kind of progress I'm making. Is it possible to add such a thing?

wccrawford
Expert on Something

Postby wccrawford » December 10th, 2008 12:34 am

untmdsprt wrote:A bar graph or something similar would be nice to see what kind of progress I'm making. Is it possible to add such a thing?

There's actually very nice bar graph already on the stats page. Check on the right and you'll see it.

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » December 10th, 2008 1:13 pm

love it so far - one question though. Where do you get your kanji list from? I did not sit JLPT level 3 last weekend but I have been attending class with some that did and they only had to do 300 kanji for JLPT level 3.

The Japanese Language Proficiency Test KANJI Level 1

This year the Japanese Language Proficiency Test is offered on December 7, 2008.
The test is a standard national test used to measure Japanese language ability.
(level 4-103, level 3-181, level 2-739, level 1-1017)

From http://www.yosida.com/en/kanji.html

I have just been playing with level 4 and I saw some kanji I would not expect to see For example the 供 in 子供 which yoshida lists as level 2.

Also the examples use kanji out of the level. For example:
今朝から本を3冊読んだ。

Never seen the kanji 冊 before. Pretty sure that is going to be a 2 or 1... Please try and keep the kanji in the examples within the bounds of the JLPT level under review - won't stop me using it but will save a lot of confusion (at least it would without rikaichan)

Overall - great job!

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » December 10th, 2008 1:30 pm

Now having read the FAQ and found our source he too has 供 as a level 2 kanji...

http://www.tanos.co.uk/jlpt/levelcheck/kanji/jlpt2/

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » December 10th, 2008 8:13 pm

I've been waiting for it to roll around again so I can click the "submit erroneous definition" link, but since it hasn't yet I'll post here:

One of the words in the JLPT2 list has " (onyomi)" in its reading, so in order to get a correct answer you actually have to type it. Might be a good idea to run a search for this in your definitions. Unfortunately I don't remember which card it was.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

joeellis
New in Town

Postby joeellis » December 16th, 2008 7:47 am

Sorry I'm a little late in replying, I've been in my cave working on the new version :)

untmdsprt wrote::shock: Wow!! I love this site!! I wish I had read more of the forums to learn about this site earlier.

In the next update, it'll show what you typed in if you get a question wrong. That way you can compare your answer to the real one to see whether you were wrong or something strange going on with the system.

JonB wrote:love it so far - one question though. Where do you get your kanji list from? I did not sit JLPT level 3 last weekend but I have been attending class with some that did and they only had to do 300 kanji for JLPT level 3.

I have just been playing with level 4 and I saw some kanji I would not expect to see For example the 供 in 子供 which yoshida lists as level 2.

Also the examples use kanji out of the level. For example:
今朝から本を3冊読んだ。

The kanji lists are kind of a frankenstein list of a whole mess of lists, then completely re-edited and refined.

The reason sometimes different level kanji appear in different levels is because the words and the kanji for a certain level don't necessarily match each other.

A good example was ひるごはん which is a JLPT4 vocabulary, but none of the kanji that make up that word (昼御飯) is covered under the JLPT4 kanji. However, having the quiz pull up ひるごはん and ask the user to just type that out isn't very challenging. At the same time though, it would be a shame to exclude a vocabulary word, which would still be helpful to learn.

So, it's a bit of a judgment call, but we figure it's better to learn a bit more than necessary, take out some unnecessarily difficult kanji, make it "昼ご飯" and include it with the rest. That way it is still a bit challenging, but the user would benefit more overall.

By the way, if you see any of these types of words and think the kanji are still unnecessary or too difficult, just let us know. These words / definitions / sentences are by no means "set", and we are always refining the list so extra input is a really fantastic thing to have.

Psy wrote:I've been waiting for it to roll around again so I can click the "submit erroneous definition" link, but since it hasn't yet I'll post here:

One of the words in the JLPT2 list has " (onyomi)" in its reading, so in order to get a correct answer you actually have to type it. Might be a good idea to run a search for this in your definitions. Unfortunately I don't remember which card it was.

Thanks, I've fixed that one. The report a sentence / definition will be back in the next release, we need to retool it to add a comment section and put the link at the end of a result, so it's clear as to what you're reporting.

And feel free to just let me know of any problems or suggestions you might have. We're hoping to make a very clear "how it works" page in the near future, so thanks for letting us know about the troubles you're having. We appreciate the support!

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » December 16th, 2008 9:12 am

Additional:

In JLPT2 I noticed that 居る (いる) and 在る (在る) are marked as "inanimate" and "animate" where they should be the other way around. Additionally, 後(のち)'s sample phrase doesn't contain the character.

**edit**

Also noticed that the two variations of 頬 (ほお/ほほ) are quizzed identically, so you're left to make a 50/50 guess whenever one of them comes up.

**2nd edit**

For some reason, the site doesn't want me to load the last card in JLPT2. Now, whenever I load the quiz I get this:

Maybe the last word holds some kind of terrifying secret...

Yamanchu
Expert on Something

Postby Yamanchu » December 19th, 2008 12:02 am

Hi joeellis,

Just wanted to say a big thank you for putting this together. Altogether a great program and I must say I appreciate the work and effort you've put into this. This has definately helped my reading of the kanji.

Much appreciated.
Yamanchu

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » December 21st, 2008 4:18 am

Alright, I've done some more work on my lists and today this menu has become nearly constant:

As a developer myself I can appreciate the stress of maintaining any public project such as this, so I'm not about to gripe and complain about you not getting a fix out for it, I do, however, kindly request a response!

よろしくお願いします

joeellis
New in Town

Postby joeellis » December 22nd, 2008 7:38 am

Psy wrote:
As a developer myself I can appreciate the stress of maintaining any public project such as this, so I'm not about to gripe and complain about you not getting a fix out for it, I do, however, kindly request a response!

よろしくお願いします

Ahh, apologies for the late reply! I have been travelling for the holidays and haven't had access to a proper computer. I'll definitely try to take a look at this for you though. Would you mind emailing me your username?

Also, if anyone else is having trouble with anything, the quickest way to let me know is through submitting a bug report through the feedback form on the site (you can access it by clicking on the feedback tab on the right hand side of the page). That mail goes directly to my phone, so I get it almost immediately.

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”