Or sign up using Facebook

How to get Japanese on the ASUS EEE?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Kare
New in Town

How to get Japanese on the ASUS EEE?

Postby Kare » April 5th, 2008 1:51 pm

Hi. ^^

I am one of the many, who recently bought themselves an ASUS EEE. Yes, I know, some might say it is pointless and I am still getting used to the Linux system, but I really needed a cheap and easy to handle (and easy to carry!) typewriter for university, plus it has internet access and I can use it to listen to the JPod Lessons and look at the PDFs at the same time.

Now I did a bit of googleing.
I am still fighting with Open Office to aknowledge that a certain *.doc is English and not German, but hey, I am likely going to figure it sooner or later.

What is annoying me more are two other things:
First of all the dictionary isn't working. I was hoping to get a Japanese-English one, but I can't even get the German-English one to work. If anyone here has a tip, I would be HIGHLY thankful.

Also, did anyone figure how to change to Japanese input? That's something I wasn't able to find yet, either.

Answers would be highly appreciated.

Mata Ne. ^^

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » April 5th, 2008 7:25 pm

I think those machines are pretty cool. Same with the OLPC laptop. I like the idea of a computer's that's light-weight and cheap.

But I never once thought about multi language input. That's something I'll need to look into if I do get one. If you do find a solution, please let us know.
お茶漬け海苔

Get 40% OFF
kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » April 5th, 2008 11:02 pm

I'm still working on getting a method editor to work consistently on my desktop. (SLAMD64, a 64 bit Slackware clone)

You might want to check out [url=http://penguinppc.org/~hollisb/linux/nihongo.shtml] this, although it is a little dated.

I've not worked with an EEE, what graphical environment does it use? (I typically use KDE)

Kare
New in Town

Postby Kare » April 6th, 2008 7:08 am

They actually developed another Linux system, spezifically for the EEE. It's called Xandros.
If you want to know what it looks like:
http://www.honeypothack.com/eee/
Just imagine that at 800x480 pixels.
(Perfect portable eBook reader, as I figured during the last few days. Another plus. XD)

And I took a look at the side you suggested. While I am highly thankful for the side, most links going from there are already dead...

I am going to google up the kinput2 seperately and from what I have already seen I kinda doubt I am going to get that working on my own... I guess I will have to ask a Linux crazy friend of mine, who is likely going to install another 20 programms, because they are 'highly essential'... *sigh*

Well, if it means I get the input working, that should be worth it...

Edit:
It is also possible to just throw the Xandros away and put Windows on it. It would be a possibility, seeing that I work with Windows at home and got the Japanese input working here rather easily. The point only is: the machine wasn't really designed for Windows. Just because it is possible does not mean that it is the most sensible thing to do...

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » April 6th, 2008 12:22 pm

Wouldn't Windows really bog that machine down? Windows is quite a pig.

But if you do, I wouldn't mind hearing what the results are. :)
お茶漬け海苔

Kare
New in Town

Postby Kare » April 8th, 2008 6:16 am

Don't be silly. I am most definitely not going to install Windows. I have a 701. (with 1 GB RAM by now). I am rather certain that you will be able to do that with the 900 series. All the more since Microsoft made sure to get a piece of the cake.
But hey: one seller wanted to tell me, that a 16GB SD card it is all it takes and by now the small 701 replaced his desktop PC... by now I think he was exaggerating, but hey, nice for him if it does. ;P
For me the 16 GB SD is still to expensive. If the price continues dropping like that, maybe I will get myself one in about half a year or maybe a year. Till than I am content with what I got ;P

As for the input:
My friend agreed to meet me this week/weekend. He is using Linux since YEARS, so I am rather certain he will come up with something. *g*

I'll tell you if we get it working. ^_^;;

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » April 8th, 2008 8:28 am

Hey,
Not sure if this is what you're after: http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=150140

Check third post down.

Regarding Open Office spelling, for me on windows the spell checker plays up all the time, spell checks then doesn't then I have to re-install the dictionaries, its irritating.

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » April 8th, 2008 11:29 am

Kare wrote:Don't be silly. I am most definitely not going to install Windows.

Please don't be condescending. I wasn't talking down to you, so I'd appreciate the same courtesy.
お茶漬け海苔

Kare
New in Town

Postby Kare » April 8th, 2008 7:06 pm

ochazuke wrote:Please don't be condescending. I wasn't talking down to you, so I'd appreciate the same courtesy.

I'm sorry. :oops: That wasn't my intention. :oops:
As it probably shows anyways: English isn't my first language. And this being the case I always took the "don't be silly" as a form of "oh, come on, stop joking". I am sorry should there be a "don't act stupid connotation" or something like that. :oops:
I mean... to me it was just that obvious. Even those that go for Windows won't try anything above XP. Beside the public oppinion on Vista: it just wouldn't work. And seeing that you can't really comfortably watch movies of play games on it (though somewhere on Youtube there is a video, showing that you can Max Pain running), there is no reason to change. You wouldn't be able to do that much more and all in all Xandros is not that hard getting used to. So in my eyes completely not worth the effort and to me it seemed like you share that sentiment...

Just wanted to get that misunderstanding out of the way, before I forget about it.
If I insulted you, that was really not my intention. Sorry. :oops:

And jkid:
I am going to try that out tomorrow. Sounds like something even I should get going. So thank you very much. ^^

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » April 8th, 2008 8:32 pm

Kare wrote:
ochazuke wrote:Please don't be condescending. I wasn't talking down to you, so I'd appreciate the same courtesy.

I'm sorry. :oops: That wasn't my intention. :oops:
As it probably shows anyways: English isn't my first language.

I'm sorry, I didn't know that. It's a misunderstanding, that's all.
Apology accepted, but now that I know it wasn't intentional, the apology was actually not necessary. But it's very much appreciated. Thank you.
お茶漬け海苔

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”