Or sign up using Facebook

Any recommendations for textbooks for beginning DIY learners

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

gryffindor
Been Around a Bit

Any recommendations for textbooks for beginning DIY learners

Postby gryffindor » May 14th, 2006 6:49 pm

Hi guys,

Wanted to learn Japanese years ago. The funny and interesting podcasts sparked my passion for the language again. I've been trying to learn the language myself.

So far, I have managed to learn reading, writing and pronouncing the hiragana characters. I managed to find a kanji list online required for JLPT 4. I figured the list will give me structure and guide my learning. I also train my ears by listening to the podcasts.

One thing that is sorely lacking as you will see is that I lack formal training in Japanese grammar. Will any forumer out there or Peter please recommend a good textbook that can guide me in my learning? That I feel is what I need in my endeavour.

Or would you think procuring Japanese elementary textbooks be a better approach? I figure that should cover all bases. Though getting my hands on them would be a problem in the first place.

I really hope that one day I can pass all the JLPTs. My immediate goal is to pass JLPT4 this December.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Any recommendations for textbooks for beginning DIY lear

Postby Bueller_007 » May 18th, 2006 11:07 am

gryffindor wrote:Hi guys,

Wanted to learn Japanese years ago. The funny and interesting podcasts sparked my passion for the language again. I've been trying to learn the language myself.

So far, I have managed to learn reading, writing and pronouncing the hiragana characters. I managed to find a kanji list online required for JLPT 4. I figured the list will give me structure and guide my learning. I also train my ears by listening to the podcasts.

One thing that is sorely lacking as you will see is that I lack formal training in Japanese grammar. Will any forumer out there or Peter please recommend a good textbook that can guide me in my learning? That I feel is what I need in my endeavour.

Or would you think procuring Japanese elementary textbooks be a better approach? I figure that should cover all bases. Though getting my hands on them would be a problem in the first place.

I really hope that one day I can pass all the JLPTs. My immediate goal is to pass JLPT4 this December.

JLPT4 grammar is EXTREMELY basic. If you can understand the introductory Jpod lessons, your grammar is probably good enough.

You need to know basic particles: を、で、に、が、は、へ、から、まで
Basic sentence structure: AはBをCする.
Basic tenses: します、しました

And so on.

If you need written material, "Japanese for Busy People" is a good enough introduction for JLPT4. It's widely available. I'd say it's a waste of money for L4, but if you really need help, you can try a JLPT study guide. Numerous companies publish them.

They say it takes 150 hours to prepare for JLPT4. I would say that most of it should go to kanji and vocab, as from what I recall, the grammar is quite simple.

Buy a copy of last year's test and see how you do. You'll probably do better on the grammar section than you think.
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”