Or sign up using Facebook

Japanese Music Question

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

TheProfessorOne
Established Presence

Japanese Music Question

Postby TheProfessorOne » July 1st, 2007 10:41 am

Hi guys,

I don't know where to post this so if it needs to be moved MODs, please move it.

I was walking down the street listening to my favorite Japanese Podcast (I'll let you guess which one) and something hit me. I need to be listening to Japanese music too. I learn very quickly while music is played or on. This is true for me in many areas like video games, or lyrics, or movies etc.

Anyways, can someone give me some advice on some Japanese music that I could listen to that isn't vulgar in its lyrics and maybe even somewhat easy to understand? If it is on iTunes that would help too!

Thanks as always.

- Pro
Guidelines | FAQ | あなたはぜっこうちょうですか?

Musouka
New in Town

Postby Musouka » July 1st, 2007 11:46 am

You can always visit Japan Files or listen to their radio streaming if you are interested in Japanese indie music.

Get 40% OFF
untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » July 1st, 2007 12:31 pm

You need to specify the type of music you like. All the Japanese bands I have are hard rock. Since you live in Japan (lucky dog!) you probably have access to the Japanese iTunes store. At the very least you can search by genre and then listen to the samples of bands that pop up.

Maybe one day I can get a copyright job where I can remove the restriction that you have to buy music in your home country. I hate American music!! I want Japanese music!!!

TheProfessorOne
Established Presence

Postby TheProfessorOne » July 1st, 2007 1:16 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for the fast replies!

I listen to just about everything besides country - absolutely hate it, no hard feelings. I was just curious I guess about the types/styles of Japanese music and what young people are listening to today here. As you said, I do have access to the Japanese store and it is rather large.

Any info is welcome and I thank you for your replies again!

Musouka
New in Town

Postby Musouka » July 1st, 2007 1:46 pm

Crystal Kay is among my few favorite J-Pop artists. What's famous? You can always check out the charts. Being famous doesn't equal good. But among the most famous you can find Hamasaki Ayumi, Utada Hikaru, Amuro Namie, Kinki Kids, Gackt, Hyde, Dir en Grey, Koda Kumi and Morning Musume among others.

For me, who enjoys more of the Indie Music scene, my favorites are Swinging Popsicles, Lin Clover, Goofy Style, Hoax and Higuchi Makiko.

TheProfessorOne
Established Presence

Postby TheProfessorOne » July 1st, 2007 2:46 pm

Musouka wrote:Crystal Kay is among my few favorite J-Pop artists. What's famous? You can always check out the charts. Being famous doesn't equal good. But among the most famous you can find Hamasaki Ayumi, Utada Hikaru, Amuro Namie, Kinki Kids, Gackt, Hyde, Dir en Grey, Koda Kumi and Morning Musume among others.

For me, who enjoys more of the Indie Music scene, my favorites are Swinging Popsicles, Lin Clover, Goofy Style, Hoax and Higuchi Makiko.

Thanks for the detailed name list.

Please let me ask you one more question: Of the list here, which Artist would you say is the easiest one to hear and understand the words?

I want to listen for pleasure yeah but I am also trying to listen to learn.

Thanks! :shock:

Musouka
New in Town

Postby Musouka » July 1st, 2007 4:53 pm

Hmm, that's a bit hard to decide. I don't to everything from all of these so I don't exactly know but I guess you would need the lyrics for them. Generally, I find Crystal Kay's lyrics easy to hear (since she also sings in English). Swinging Popsicles are also easy to listen to but not all songs. You may want to sample some songs and see if you catch anything. You may also find some lyrics online but bare in mind that, in Japan, sharing lyrics is illegal.

TheProfessorOne
Established Presence

Postby TheProfessorOne » July 2nd, 2007 2:12 am

Musouka wrote:Hmm, that's a bit hard to decide. I don't to everything from all of these so I don't exactly know but I guess you would need the lyrics for them. Generally, I find Crystal Kay's lyrics easy to hear (since she also sings in English). Swinging Popsicles are also easy to listen to but not all songs. You may want to sample some songs and see if you catch anything. You may also find some lyrics online but bare in mind that, in Japan, sharing lyrics is illegal.

You have been a huge help!

I found all of this on the iTunes store and I am sampling many to see what style and voice I like. One thing I have learned while being in Japan this short time, is that the more you hear Japanese, the more you try Japanese, the faster you learn. Well IMO :P

Thanks and I will keep that illegal thing in mind!

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » July 2nd, 2007 11:35 am

I listen to Luna Sea, L'arc-en-ciel, Miyavi, B'z, Thee Michelle Gun Elepahant, Soulhead, Do As Infinity, Glay, X Japan, and Psycho le Cemu

Luna Sea or Psycho le Cemu maybe the easier ones. Of course I listen to them all the time!!

smoloney
New in Town

Postby smoloney » July 2nd, 2007 6:48 pm

They're a bit old, but the band Dreams Come True has good songs that are easy to listen to. I love the singer's voice, I think it's one of the nicest voices I've heard sung. It's also very clear and audible, so should be good to improve listening a little. There's also a fan or official site out there with some of the songs either in romaji or translated.

M_D_V
New in Town

Postby M_D_V » July 3rd, 2007 12:12 pm

You should try listening to YUI, her songs are really beatiful and her pronounciation is pretty clear.

TheProfessorOne
Established Presence

Postby TheProfessorOne » July 3rd, 2007 12:44 pm

Man, I tell you what. I come home from a hard days work to find my fellow board mates hooked me up with quality information...yet again. Why can't all forums be this friendly sheesh...

Thanks guys. I will hit the local store tomorrow and look for a few of these names. By chance, does anyone know if these or any other artist have free downlaods on iTunes?

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » July 4th, 2007 12:37 am

Nah!!! Not us!!!! ;)

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”