Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

New Site for Learning Japanese with Nintendo DS!

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

orochi_plus
New in Town

New Site for Learning Japanese with Nintendo DS!

Postby orochi_plus » May 30th, 2007 3:15 pm

Hey everybody! First post here.
A friend of mine told me about this place and said it was a great forum for exchanging information on Japanese learning. I look forward to posting here!

I also wanted to let everybody know about a learning blog I recently started called Naruhodo! You can find it here:
http://naruhodojapan.blogspot.com/

We cover a wide variety of topics about learning Japanese, but our main concentration is using your Nintendo DS to study! There are so many great games out there for learning kanji, but so little information in the English press and blogsphere. We're hoping to change that at Naruhodo!, though. We've got reviews up on many of the DS titles released in Japan and current news about the Japanese language and education.

Check it out if you can!

suzume
New in Town

Postby suzume » June 15th, 2007 12:55 pm

orochi_plus,

Thanks for the link!

I have a T-mobile Dash, which has Japanese language software available through www.handango.com. Something for the DS has been on my daughter's wish list, so we'll check out your recommendations!

We'll be in Japan the week before Christmas, so we have to get serious!

Sue

Get 40% OFF
christrax66
New in Town

Postby christrax66 » July 4th, 2007 3:46 pm

hi,
Also thanks for the link, does anyone know if this new game:Tsugawa Method on Nintendo DS will be available to buy in the Uk or can I order from Japan to Uk? Any help on this much appreciated? thanks :D

Shumiston
Been Around a Bit

Postby Shumiston » July 13th, 2007 6:34 am

Go here to buy that Tsugawa game:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g- ... -1xxd.html

www.play-asia.com has tons of toys and games from asian countries. so i went straight there to look. However, kanji has been the most difficult part of my japanese studies thus far, and it is holding me back. So I will study harder before I buy it. Mainly because the whole game is in Japanese. By the way, do you need a japanese DS to play this?

Rizu
Established Presence

Postby Rizu » July 13th, 2007 5:27 pm

The DS is region-free, so your DS will work with import games. :)

Shumiston
Been Around a Bit

Postby Shumiston » July 14th, 2007 12:24 am

Rizu wrote:The DS is region-free, so your DS will work with import games. :)

thanks

jimmy33
New in Town

Postby jimmy33 » September 10th, 2007 5:10 am

Can anyone come up with a short list of helpful DS games for learning kanji and the sort? I'm not even sure of the name of the one that has writing recognition for kanji to be honest... sounds very helpful! and beats the heck out of a 2k dollar electronic dictionary.

jenl
New in Town

Postby jenl » September 27th, 2007 4:56 pm

I have 漢字そのまま楽引辞典 (Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten) which is the Japanese/English dictionary - good so far. I also have Kanken DS and Nazotte Oboeru Otona no Kanji Renshuu - the former is better for practicing things in context (with elementary-school vocabulary on the easier levels), whereas the latter has hard vocab even with easy levels of kanji but is much better for actually practicing the writing because it shows you the stroke order and you can copy over it.

I actually went through all the reviews on Naruhodo! before deciding which ones to buy. :D

Naruhodo! has a review of Nazotte Oboeru Otona no Kanji Renshuu and I think also for Kanken DS - there's a new version of that coming out soon, too. Of course, the kanji-practice games have no English, so I either play them while sitting next to a computer with WWWJDIC open in a browser window, or write down vocab I don't recognise on a piece of paper and then look it up on the DS dictionary or on the computer afterwards.

The main thing I find - these force me to use proper stroke order because often your characters will not be recognised otherwise. Particularly Kanken, which tests you on proper stroke order as well.

Most of the actual 'game' parts in these are way too hard for me, also! But I'm improving, slowly...

jimmy33
New in Town

Postby jimmy33 » September 27th, 2007 11:10 pm

Thanks Jenl,

In the time after I posted I went all out and bought the Casio XD-GW9600 instead of the cheaper NDS solution. Although I’m sure that the games help out a great bit for practice drills as you say. I did however try out “Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten” with an emulator and I would have to agree to say that you will get a lot of bang for your buck from this game and love the English definition support! (Although it seems to be very sensitive about stroke order for complex Kanji).

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”