Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Anyone find books on the different dialects?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Anyone find books on the different dialects?

Postby untmdsprt » May 23rd, 2007 10:15 pm

I've only found one book on the Kansai dialect. It's called Colloquial Kansai Japanese by Tuttle Publishing (ISBN 0-8048-3723-6). It has at least 60 words, gives an example of each, and compares it against the Tokyo dialect.

It was hard at first to understand, but now since I've been listening to Jpod101, I'm beginning to understand more of the Tokyo vs Kansai dialects.

mariyo
Been Around a Bit

Re: Anyone find books on the different dialects?

Postby mariyo » May 25th, 2007 6:08 am

untmdsprt wrote:I've only found one book on the Kansai dialect. It's called Colloquial Kansai Japanese by Tuttle Publishing (ISBN 0-8048-3723-6). It has at least 60 words, gives an example of each, and compares it against the Tokyo dialect.

It was hard at first to understand, but now since I've been listening to Jpod101, I'm beginning to understand more of the Tokyo vs Kansai dialects.

Hi there,

If you are interested in dialects, you might want to check out Mayumi's Osaka dialect podcast???: http://mayumik.seesaa.net/

You can't really compare it with JapanesePod101 because the focus is less on teaching Japanese, but more on the differences between Osaka dialect and regular Japanese. She's an English teacher and does quite a good job with her podcast : she also transcribes the content of each lesson and there's quite some cultural informatino (??????) to find in there.

Check it out : I'm quite sure it's more fun to learn about dialects this way instead of from books. It's also more interactive : you can ask questions etc.

????????????

?????????
________
Ford Th!Nk Picture
Last edited by mariyo on February 26th, 2011 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get 40% OFF
untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 25th, 2007 1:17 pm

I listened to that a long time ago, and had to stop. I would have never guessed she's an English teacher.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » May 26th, 2007 8:30 pm

mariyo wrote:
untmdsprt wrote:I've only found one book on the Kansai dialect. It's called Colloquial Kansai Japanese by Tuttle Publishing (ISBN 0-8048-3723-6). It has at least 60 words, gives an example of each, and compares it against the Tokyo dialect.

Hi there,

If you are interested in dialects, you might want to check out Mayumi's Osaka dialect podcast : http://mayumik.seesaa.net/

You can't really compare it with JapanesePod101 because the focus is less on teaching Japanese, but more on the differences between Osaka dialect and regular Japanese. She's an English teacher and does quite a good job with her podcast : she also transcribes the content of each lesson and there's quite some cultural informatino (文化) to find in there.

Check it out : I'm quite sure it's more fun to learn about dialects this way instead of from books. It's also more interactive : you can ask questions etc.

宜しく、

マリオ

Mariyo-san! :wink:

Thank you for the link and great post! 8) :wink:

mariyo
Been Around a Bit

Postby mariyo » May 31st, 2007 10:14 am

Thank you for the link and great post! 8) :wink:

Thank you. Apparently there's also a book available on the okinawa dialect :

http://www.rolomail.com/cgi-bin/sanadd. ... 36-okinawa

????????????

?????????
________
Zx14 Vs Hayabusa

kichigaijin
Established Presence

Postby kichigaijin » May 31st, 2007 3:36 pm

mariyo wrote:Thank you. Apparently there's also a book available on the okinawa dialect :

http://www.rolomail.com/cgi-bin/sanadd. ... 36-okinawa

宜しく、

マリオ

Hey マリオ!
Just wanted to say THANK YOU for the heads up on the book!
I'd been picking up Okinawan from my friends, word by word.
For a while I had a Okinawan to Japanese dictionary but short of reading the thing cover to cover, it wasn't really good for picking up the language.
You rock!

mariyo
Been Around a Bit

Postby mariyo » June 1st, 2007 2:50 pm

kichigaijin wrote:Hey ?????????!
For a while I had a Okinawan to Japanese dictionary but short of reading the thing cover to cover, it wasn't really good for picking up the language.
You rock!

?????????????????????

Glad to have been of any service :D

????????????

?????????
________
BMW 501 HISTORY

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » June 8th, 2007 7:52 pm

mariyo wrote:
kichigaijin wrote:Hey マリオ!
You rock!

きち外人さん、

Glad to have been of any service :D

宜しく、

マリオ

Than you very much for those helpful links!! 8) :wink:

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”