a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Japanese graded readers

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Japanese graded readers

Postby untmdsprt » May 17th, 2007 10:45 pm

I've found a new series of books that are geared for those taking the JLPT.

http://www.whiterabbitpress.com/catalog/Japanese-Graded-Readers-Level-1-Volume-1-w-CD-p-16457.html

This link is a first in the series, and is for JLPT #4. Each has about 5 short stories that have to do with Japanese culture. They are very entertaining and also are easy to read. They have both kanji and kana, with furigana to the side of the kanji.

Volume 4 is actually for the people who are up to the JLPT level 2. I have bought all four volumes with the intent of being able to read everything. A word of warning though, these volumes read in the tradition Japanese direction of right to left, and up/down.

They also come with CDs so you can hear native speakers "read" to you.

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » May 18th, 2007 12:00 am

I was totally meaning to post about those when I stumbled across them in a bookstore this winter.

They don't correspond exactly to the JLPT levels... there are 4 books but they only go to level 2 on the test. They do look like decent books, but I'm not sure that they're really necessary.

Probably most useful for those in their first year or two studying Japanese. And those without access to any other written Japanese material.

Get 40% OFF
usagi
Been Around a Bit

Postby usagi » May 18th, 2007 9:31 am

Thank you! Great idea but you know, I was going to order and could only find one volume per level. According to the website the others haven´t been published yet :cry: Shipping costs are quite high for just one book :shock:

Will have to wait then or pay up :wink:

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » May 18th, 2007 12:22 pm

usagi wrote:Thank you! Great idea but you know, I was going to order and could only find one volume per level. According to the website the others haven´t been published yet :cry: Shipping costs are quite high for just one book :shock:

there are 4 different sets of readers in the bookstore.
maybe the site you're looking at doesn't ship overseas.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 18th, 2007 7:36 pm

The site I referenced shipped them to the US. Besides their prices are sometimes cheaper than other places. They also have books in stock that you can't get any where else. I also highly recommend their flash cards.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 18th, 2007 7:37 pm

usagi wrote:Thank you! Great idea but you know, I was going to order and could only find one volume per level. According to the website the others haven´t been published yet :cry: Shipping costs are quite high for just one book :shock:

It's 5 books per volume plus CD of all books. BTW, Volume 2 will be out June 1st.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Re: Japanese graded readers

Postby Ulver_684 » May 20th, 2007 2:20 am

untmdsprt wrote:I've found a new series of books that are geared for those taking the JLPT.

http://www.whiterabbitpress.com/catalog/Japanese-Graded-Readers-Level-1-Volume-1-w-CD-p-16457.html

This link is a first in the series, and is for JLPT #4. Each has about 5 short stories that have to do with Japanese culture. They are very entertaining and also are easy to read. They have both kanji and kana, with furigana to the side of the kanji.

Volume 4 is actually for the people who are up to the JLPT level 2. I have bought all four volumes with the intent of being able to read everything. A word of warning though, these volumes read in the tradition Japanese direction of right to left, and up/down.

They also come with CDs so you can hear native speakers "read" to you.

Thank you for the information and link, I'm going to buy them right away! 8) :wink:

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » May 23rd, 2007 9:36 pm

Thanks for posting about this.

I've recently bought them from Amazon.jp. because of this thread.
It feels so good to be able to read something in one go for a change, albeit something rather simple. I've been looking for graded readers or a reading list broken down to JLPT or Japanese school grades for a long time.

The system, extensive reading method, is interesting too.
I think it's modelled on a system for teaching English. Here are the rules:
(they are in Japanese inside the readers)
1. Start reading from the lowest possible level.
2. Don't use a dictionary while reading extensively.
3. Skip over words and phrases you don't know.
4. If you think the reading is difficult or boring, throw away the book and start another.

In other words read as you would in your native language.

The key is rule 1, finding books you can read. (maybe there's a thread that can be started.) These are a good start. I can't wait for the next volumes to be published in June.
The English systems goal is 100万 words. I wonder if I can achieve that in characters?

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 23rd, 2007 10:06 pm

I've also found a restaurant where I live that has a used book store. We have a lot of Japanese families because of the Nissan plant, and some will drop off their books they no longer want. I've found a bunch of children's books that have helped me.

I have a picture book that is for 1 to 3 year olds, but it's a great way to learn more words. Hmm, maybe I can buy these books and resell them on eBay? :D

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”