a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

The Kanji Handbook by Vee David / Tuttle Publishing

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

karavshin
New in Town

The Kanji Handbook by Vee David / Tuttle Publishing

Postby karavshin » February 23rd, 2007 3:49 pm

I bought this handbook to learn the jouyou kanji. I'm very new to Japanese, but it seems interesting.

Question: it's not very clear about the KUN-yomi and ON-yomi pronunciations of the characters. It merely says, "readings begin with kun-yomi, followed by on-yomi". Ok, fine, except in many examples, they give more than two readings, and I don't know what goes with what.

Here are some examples:

人  readings: "hito, JIN, NIN"
入 readings: "hai(ru), i(ru), i(reru), NYU"
火  readings: "hi, ho, KA"

Sorry, but what do those multiple soundings correspond to?

The answer may be simple, but please indulge me, I have just begun studying Japanese.

Airth
Expert on Something

Re: The Kanji Handbook by Vee David / Tuttle Publishing

Postby Airth » February 24th, 2007 6:50 am

karavshin wrote:Here are some examples:

人  readings: "hito, JIN, NIN"
入 readings: "hai(ru), i(ru), i(reru), NYU"
火  readings: "hi, ho, KA"

Sorry, but what do those multiple soundings correspond to?

Hello karavshin, and welcome to the wonderful world of kanji. As you might guess, the lower case readings are the kunyomi's and the upper case the onyomi's. As you have realised, a great number of the kanji have multiple readings for multiple situations. It's your job to figure out which is which; and that's the fun of Japanese reading.

Get 40% OFF
bshock
New in Town

advice for beginners

Postby bshock » March 6th, 2007 9:11 pm

I'm going to assume that when you say you're new to Japanese, you mean you've been studying it for less than two years. I think of myself as an intermediate student at six years of study, and I'm probably flattering myself.

Although there are a number of books designed to teach the Kanji in a systematic or mnemonic fashion ("Learning the Kanji," "Kanji ABC"), personally I found simple flash cards to be most useful for my Kanji studies. I started with a Kanji book much like the one you describe and used this to write my own 3"x5" cards. Although commercial Kanji flash cards are available, I feel that the act of writing the cards also helps in memorizing them (if only a little). My book grouped the Kanji according to which characters were taught in each grade of school, and I memorized the cards according to these groups.

The way you go about memorizing the cards could be very important. Working with each "grade" (about 200 characters) at a time, I would first memorize them in order (I numbered my cards for this purpose), and then after I felt I knew them well, I would shuffle them and start memorizing again. Shuffling is of course vital, otherwise you'll only learn them in order. I would spend about 3-6 months in memorizing each group, and woud of course review previous groups every week.

I found that the best time for studying my cards was in the evening while I relaxed or watched tv. Even though focusing on the cards helped me memorize them faster, glancing at them while I was distracted was still useful. However, the nice thing about flash cards was that I could study them anywhere and at any time. (I've heard that students in Japan will make small flash cards for English and put them on a ring so that they can easily carry them wherever they go.)

If your memorization process is anything like mine, you may find that when you add a new group of Kanji to memorize, the characters that you already know may now seem indistinct for a while. This was alarming to me at first, but steady review of previously learned characters every week or so helped to firm up the old information again in a short while. I can't emphasize enough that constant review is important both for making progress and retaining what you have learned.

Please note that at first (and still, to an unfortunate degree) this was primarily a process of "recognition memorization" for me. Unlike Japanese school children, I only memorized the characters so that I could read them, rather than being able to write them. That may have been a less than optimal strategy. Perhaps one of the reasons new groups of characters seemed to interfere with old groups for me was that memorizing for recognition didn't encourage me to remember the details of each character. Many of the Kanji are very similar to each other, with only a single stroke to differentiate them. When you learn to write the characters, you necessarily learn actual stroke-by-stroke recall of them, rather than just recognition. (How difficult is recall versus recognition? Well, is it vastly more difficult for most people to draw a friend's face from memory rather than simply recognizing a friend's face.)

Of course, "stroke-by-stroke" recall is not always necessary. Most Kanji characters are made up of groups of simpler characters. Once you become familiar with these groups, you can simply remember them as chunks, and remember more complex characters as combinations of these chunks. Books like "Kanji ABC" take you down this route, teaching you the simple characters first and them combining them as you go along. Although I feel as though this approach tends to give you a less detailed knowledge of Kanji in the long run, I find that knowing the meaning behind these simple characters (or "radicals") can help you greatly when you're trying to create your own mnemonics for complex characters.

(Here's a hint for remembering the onyomi of more complex characters: often characters share onyomi with their most complex radical on the right, or less often on top. For instance, 帳 has the onyomi "chou," the same as 長. However, please note that this is only a rule of thumb, not an actual rule. Similar characters may not have similar onyomi at all.)

Although you can expend countless reams of paper practicing your calligraphy, for the sake of the environment I would recommend computer programs for this purpose. One that comes to mind is "King Kanji," which you should find online easily. This application also comes in a version for handheld computers, which I consider even more useful (drawing on the screen of a handheld with a stylus is much more natural than using a mouse to draw on a PC screen).

Learning the Jouyou Kanji took me about four years, and I still don't feel as though I have mastered this character set. I review every day, and practice reading as much Japanese as I can. (Watch out for manga with furigana -- I feel as though these "cheat characters" actually erode my Kanji memory.) One good site that encourages daily review is http://www.manythings.org/japanese/daily/, which presents 36 different characters each day.

I hope my suggestions are useful to you. Good luck!

Belton
Expert on Something

Re: advice for beginners

Postby Belton » March 7th, 2007 7:38 pm

bshock wrote:
Although you can expend countless reams of paper practicing your calligraphy, for the sake of the environment I would recommend computer programs for this purpose. One that comes to mind is "King Kanji," which you should find online easily. This application also comes in a version for handheld computers, which I consider even more useful (drawing on the screen of a handheld with a stylus is much more natural than using a mouse to draw on a PC screen).

I like using a plastic laminated sheet of Japanese squared writing paper and a thin dry wipe marker to practice writing and save on paper. More satisfying and cheaper than computers.

KanjiHybrid
Been Around a Bit

Postby KanjiHybrid » March 16th, 2007 5:04 am

Our 学earning 進rogress will 決ecide the book`s 想oncept and 命estiny. In the
間eantime, I have 既lready 発eveloped a beta 版ersion of a KanjiHybrid software, that can 自utomatically 変ransform 英nglish words into KanjiHybrids. Please
受ccept my 永ver-残lasting 謝ratitude.

If we can 通ommunicate in KanjiHybrid 文ext such as 上bove, the 限imit is just one`s
創magination. 思hink of the 速peed and 優roficiency of 漢anji 教ducation! Will 近hortly
作roduce a KanjiHybrid blog.

From my 窓indows by the 海cean,

The KanjiHandbook

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”