Or sign up using Facebook

Showa Institute Boston

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Rizu
Established Presence

Showa Institute Boston

Postby Rizu » January 29th, 2007 9:00 pm

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Showa Boston has a Japanese language program, ranging from beginner to advanced. They are starting their spring semester in about a month, and I am thinking about signing up for a class.

I was hoping to find out from the community if anyone has attended any classes there, or knows anyone who has? Did you enjoy the class(es)? Pros/Cons? Any information you might have!

Here is the link to the program: http://www.showaboston.org/jlc/

Domo arigatou gozaimasu!

Rizu
Established Presence

Postby Rizu » September 18th, 2007 8:00 pm

Well, I am starting at Showa tonight, 1st class of the semester. Their classes are conversation-focused, and you get paired with Japanese students from Showa's home base in Tokyo (who are here studying English and American culture) to practice. I signed up for the beginner class, because I've had very limited speaking practice. My study has mostly been for 3kyuu, so it's been focused on reading and vocabulary.

I'm hoping the class isn't too easy, but again I definitely need to start using and honing my poor speaking skills. I'm really looking forward to it and I hope it is a good experience, especially in meeting and conversing with students from Japan.

Not sure if there are other Boston locals on this board, but if anyone is interested I will gladly post about my experience in the class.

Get 40% OFF
maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » September 18th, 2007 11:02 pm

Hmmm sounds interesting. I'd be interested to know how it turns out. I don't know if having an English language Japanese student would help though.... but I guess you never know. Keep us posted!

Rizu
Established Presence

Postby Rizu » September 26th, 2007 2:36 am

maxiewawa-さん、
I wondered too just how helpful the partners would be given the situation. Tonight we met our partners for the first time, and they are only supposed to speak Japanese to us - English only when necessary. They are there to let us practice what we learned in the lesson. I was kinda nervous/shy, but I was able to talk with her beyond the scope of the class, which was good. The first meeting was a bit awkward, as I didn't really know what to do. But she seems very nice and I hope I continue to work with her.

I'm definitely glad I signed up for the beginner class, because I need a lot of speaking practice. Working with my partner put me in my place, so to speak. But it will allow me the chance to try out some more advanced things here and there.

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”