Or sign up using Facebook

Thoughts on JLPT N3 / new level?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

MichaelMcDonald
Been Around a Bit

Thoughts on JLPT N3 / new level?

Postby MichaelMcDonald » December 5th, 2010 6:05 pm

Hi,

Took the JLPT N3 today (in Helsinki, Finland) and found some parts easier than expected (reading comprehension & grammar) while the others suprised me by being much harder than expected (Vocabulary & kanji; listening). Sometimes it seemed every other question was old JLPT 3 and every other old JLPT 2 - since almost every other question seemed too easy and some I had no idea about. I studied with the Nihongo So-matome series (Grammar, Kanji, Vocabulary) as well as the Mimi kara oboeru JLPT N3 grammar book and one of the mock test books. Last year I took the old JLPT 3 with about a 90% overall final score.

I'm really curious what the general opinion about the level will be, now that the test has been given officially twice (July and December). Based on today's test, I feel like they haven't quite found the middle ground yet between old JLPT 2 & 3. I'm sure it's not easy since the old gap was so big. I feel like I probably passed, though no idea with what score.

Anyone else take the new N3 level today?

MichaelMcDonald
Been Around a Bit

Postby MichaelMcDonald » December 5th, 2010 6:41 pm

And by the way, although we're not allowed to discuss specific questions on the test, I will say that an old Japanese Pod lesson from way back involving a certain boxer meeting his fiancee's parents helped me get at least one question correct on today's test (I think...)! Thanks, Japanese Pod!

Get 40% OFF
remsleep
New in Town

Postby remsleep » December 6th, 2010 2:00 am

Wow. I had the completely opposite impression! (San Francisco) I probably read more slowly than I should, so the reading is more than I can handle, given the time limit... For reference, I passed the old 3級 twice:

2007 : vocab/89 listening/61 grammar/180 (focused on listening in 2008 after this)
2008 : vocab/96 listening/87 grammar/161

then resoundingly failed 2級 ;-)

2009 : vocab/30 listening/36 grammar/47 (yeah, 47, not 147 :( )

I knew my reading is way too slow for N2 level, but seems still a bit too slow for even N3. I guess I now know what to do this year.... I have the light novel of 時をかける少女, maybe I should dive in (pretty much it's just manga/anime/drama for me, plus daily Heisig/Anki kanji/vocab upkeep). Or maybe ハリー・ポッター ?

Back to the original topic, I thought the listening today was almost cake, but maybe I'm underestimating my listening. The vocab seemed to be at about the right level of challenge for me, I think I made it to the 60% point at least. Didn't really encounter anything unexpected, and the ones I found hard were because although I could easily narrow the choices to two, I was then not entirely sure of that last detail every time...

sliipingcow5855
New in Town

Postby sliipingcow5855 » December 6th, 2010 12:32 pm

I also took the JLPT N3 test yesterday in Helsinki. I haven't taken any JLPT tests before, but I bought two books (日本語能力試験模試と対策N3 and 短期マスター日本語能力試験ドリルN3 from 2010) with practice tests and compared with those tests I thought the reading and grammar part was much easier, the kanji/word part was more difficult and the listening part was about the same as in the practice tests.

In the practice tests I took, I got 99/160 and 122/160, so based on that I think I passed (since this test felt a bit easier), but it's difficult to say with what score, since there were many questions where I knew that it was one of two answers, but had to guess which one of those it was. Are you planning to take the JLPT N2 next year?

gerdemb
New in Town

Postby gerdemb » December 6th, 2010 12:44 pm

Took the N3 test yesterday here in Brazil. I have previously failed the old level 2 test twice. My impression was that it was much easier--especially the reading section where I previously had the most trouble. On the old level 2, I never had enough time to read the text and my comprehension was about 60-70%. On the test yesterday, I finished with a few minutes to spare and my comprehension was closer 90%. I had the most trouble with the last vocabulary section where I didn't know 4 out the 5 words given. This may have just been bad luck.

All in all, this test was right at my level and definitely more manageable for me than the old level 2 test.

MichaelMcDonald
Been Around a Bit

Postby MichaelMcDonald » December 6th, 2010 6:36 pm

That's true that this year was the first time I almost ran out of time in the first two sections (especially reading), where previously I always had time to go back and check answers.

I also had many cases where I could narrow it down to two choices, but had to eventually guess between the two.

The listening had many questions that flew by me and I had to just guess. Others seemed more clear.

I will definitely take N2 next year - already looking for books to order!

empathyart1341
New in Town

Postby empathyart1341 » December 6th, 2010 10:43 pm

Just took my frst N5 level JLPT. The listening was much easier than I thought. They grammar however was difficult. The whole stars section confused the hell out of me and made me run out of time before I can recheck answers. I feel confident that I passed for the most part.

macanudo
New in Town

Postby macanudo » December 8th, 2010 12:01 am

I took the N3 here in Kyoto. I found it to be a strange test as well.

The Kanji and vocabulary was mostly a breeze. I can say my experience living in country saved me from some of the more difficult questions. A lot of the words were not on any lists that I had studied, but I had seen them 'out in about'.

I felt like the grammar section was the most difficult. I think it was because the questions were phrased a little differently than to what I was used to. I believe I still passed this though. The reading was also a breeze compared to N2. The reading questions are very straight forward and fairly easy to find. I felt it was too easy.

The listening section was a bit troublesome. I don't know about everyone else, but I personally find section 3 of this section a bit tricky. In that section you have to first listen to the passage and then they give you the questions and answers. Makes it a bit hard for me to concentrate. I still think it is a good test of your listening though.

Overall, I think I passed. It was a good test.

sycambrown8913
New in Town

JLPT N3

Postby sycambrown8913 » December 9th, 2010 9:37 pm

I took the N3 in Washington DC. I felt relatively prepared for most of the sections. Unfortunately, I ran out of time for the reading. The grammar was also more challenging than expected. The listening section was fairly easy. There were a few words in the grammar section that I had not encountered in any of the study material I used.
The JLPT N3 prep courses on JapanesePod 101 were an excellent primer. Thanks!

I decided to take the N3 as a way to get back into studying Japanese. It had been 10 years since my last conversation in Japanese. I was pleasantly surprised to see a few people my age and older sitting for the exam. After scoring around 85% on the old Level 3 practice tests, I felt that passing the new N3 would be a good goal. Even If I did not pass the test, my reading and writing ability is better than ever and I will continue studying to either repeat and pass the N3, or attempt the N2 next year.

wsrizal
New in Town

JLPT N5 thoughts

Postby wsrizal » December 13th, 2010 2:13 pm

My main aim at taking the N5 was to assess what areas I was strong at, and what areas I needed to focus on moving forward. Thus, I largely maintained my usual study routines, without trying to "cram" too much before the exam. Going into the exam, I felt that I was strongest at listening, and weakest at reading speed and vocabulary.

I definitely struggled with vocabulary, but found the listening section to be somewhat manageable. In a bit of oddness, due to a lot of listening to Beginner and Newbie podcasts, I didn't feel like I struggled too much with the grammar section either.

It was definitely fun preparing for, and taking the JLPT. Based on how I do, I'm likely going to plan to take the N5 again. (Unless I somehow do I better than expected in the grammar and listening, then I might take the N4 instead).

PacsyRay
New in Town

N3

Postby PacsyRay » December 15th, 2010 11:44 am

Yeah I also thought the reading and grammar wasn't so bad. But the vocabulary section took me by surprise.

remsleep
New in Town

Postby remsleep » February 23rd, 2011 4:41 am

Passed by the bare minimum in reading (where I figured it was probably 50/50 chance of making the cutoff). But I guess the listening wasn't as cake as I thought... (they must have snuck something past me :o )

Vocab/Grammar 41/60, Reading 20/60, Listening 45/60 -- Vocab:A / Grammar:B

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”