Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Choosing which level to take

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

What level do you think I should shoot for next year?

8%
47%
37%
8%

Total votes: 38

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » September 19th, 2006 4:45 am

WCR91 wrote:
esp wrote:well from what ive heard the JLPT exams are recommended for:
JLPT level 4 after 1 year of study
JLPT level 3 after 2 year of study
JLPT level 2 after 4 year of study
JLPT level 1 after 6 year of study

so I would probably go for level 3 after 3 years of study or maybe try level 2. Try and get some past papers to see how you do on them.

this website is a good guide to use when deciding which level you wan't to take http://momo.jpf.go.jp/jlpt/e/about_e.html

JLPT 1 after six years of study?
The website says only 900 hours. I'm sure that's a terrible estimate, but I think one could put in the sufficient study time in 2-3 years.

Yeah, 6 years is a bit much.

tiroth2
Established Presence

Postby tiroth2 » September 19th, 2006 11:01 am

I think 6 years is reasonable if you are not in-country. My university's program is 3 years in class, usually a year in Japan, then another year of class which is mostly reading/writing. This gets you to a solid 2-kyuu level in reading/writing, and probably to 1-kyuu level in listening.

I've completed all four years of class (sans year in japan) and figure I might have a shot at 1-kyuu NEXT year, which is ~5 years. I think I study a lot more than most people I know taking Japanese.

Get 40% OFF
Airth
Expert on Something

Postby Airth » September 19th, 2006 1:32 pm

I was quite surprised to see that you were even considering levels three and four. You've got to be looking at level 2, and I'd put money on you sailing it next year.
I have to say I'm beginning to question the value of studying for level 1 unless you have a specific need like entering university or getting translation work. Like most tests it seems to miss the point of what communication is all about.

tiroth2
Established Presence

Postby tiroth2 » September 19th, 2006 2:54 pm

1-kyuu has good general applicability to reading/writing. Some people are exclusively interested in speaking, and want only a functional level of reading/writing. (i.e. enough to go shopping, not enough to read literature)

If you want a test that is more about general business communication, JETRO is the way to go. It is very hard though; most people at 1-kyuu cannot pass the second highest level of JETRO.

I think you have hit on a good point though, it isn't beneficial to study just for a test. Only a portion of study time should be devoted specifically to JLPT, the rest should be more general learning.

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”