Or sign up using Facebook

Nikyuu vocabulary list - kanji ?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Flamehearted
Been Around a Bit

Nikyuu vocabulary list - kanji ?

Postby Flamehearted » November 14th, 2008 7:32 am

Hi all,

Just wondering, for the Vocabulary section of the nikyuu test (not the kanji section) is the candidate expected to know the 4000 or so vocab words from just the kanji alone - or is knowing the hiragana enough ?

Tx !

Martin

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » November 14th, 2008 10:44 am

I'm not sure if it is all 4000 but kanji are used in the reading comprehension.
I presume these are from the 1000 or so you're expected to know for nikyuu.
I also presume kanji will also appear in the grammar section.
As I'm not taking the test I haven't looked too closely at the past papers, beyond the reading comprehension part.

Get 40% OFF
Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » November 14th, 2008 11:19 am

Throughout the test, only the kanji that you aren't expected to know have furigana. However, if there is a known and unknown kanji together in a compound, e.g. 蛇口, it still has furigana, so it's pretty lenient.

I've been working through the workbooks from White Rabbit Press. There is a vocabulary, grammar, and reading volume, set out as an eight week course. The first six days in each week have words, grammar, and reading articles that you need to learn with some simple questions, and the seventh day has practice questions in the style of the real test.

You might want to try some Level 3 practice tests that are floating about as well if you're not familiar with the format of the things.

Flamehearted
Been Around a Bit

Postby Flamehearted » November 14th, 2008 3:58 pm

Ah thanks all but that doesn't really answer the question - anyone else know if the 4000 or so vocab words on the prescribed list need to be learn from Kanji alone ?

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » November 14th, 2008 5:14 pm

Not all of them because not all of them will use kanji just from the level 2 list.

For any that use kanji that are on the level 2 syllabus in whole or part you will need to be able to read those words from kanji. It sometimes varies as to whether they use kanji or hiragana when writing a word.
For those words or parts of words that don't use level 2 kanji, the hiragana is enough.
Any kanji used on the test that aren't in the Level 2 list will have furigana.

Flamehearted
Been Around a Bit

Postby Flamehearted » November 14th, 2008 6:11 pm

Tx Belton - that's great news

john10074
New in Town

Postby john10074 » May 8th, 2010 5:53 am

I need to mail some prescriptions to my brother in Japan (I'm in the US) since he needs to stay 28 days longer than he originally planned. The drugs are legal in Japan, but he can't get the prescription filled at a Japanese pharmacy.The problem I'm seeing is that normally, you'd need a Yakkan Shoumei to import more than 30 days of meds; and for a short time, my brother will be in possession of more than 30 days worth. But I won't be sending more than 30 days worth of meds! (ARGH!)It takes ~2-3 weeks total to receive a Yakkan Shoumei, and I need to send the meds by Wednesday next week to get them to him on time.So, if anyone has any relevant experience, it would be greatly appreciated. I've never had to send medication internationally before, so any info on that is welcome.(I'm trying to weed through the Japanese Customs webpage, and it's been pretty unhelpful all around. Also contacted the embassy in DC, and they just referred me to the same site.)

=================================
internet service providers ===== colocation ===== unix web hosting ===== reseller web hosting

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”