Or sign up using Facebook

JLPT - 4 study material

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Nihongone Crazy
New in Town

JLPT - 4 study material

Postby Nihongone Crazy » January 10th, 2008 9:09 pm

Konnichiwa minna-san,

I am interested in taking (and of course passing) the JLPT. I would like to pass all of them eventually, but naturally I need to start with the first one.

What study materials would you recommend? I've listened to The entire Newbie Series, and have completed levels 1 and 2 of Rosetta stone, so I have (or I like to believe I have) a basic understanding of Nihongo, but believe I am definitely no where near capable of passing level 1.

Are there books that specifically prep one for a particular level of the JLPT? If so, I would appreciate any recommendations.

Also, is it mandetory that one take and pass EACH level of the JLPT? Would it be possilbe for a bold individual to perhaps skip a level? For example, could one pass levels 1 and 2, skip 3 and do 4?

Finally (I didn't intend for this post to be so long), I believe my greatest weakness to be reading/understanding the Kanji. During my earlier studyings, I neglected to learn them due to the perceived difficulty. What is a common strategy one employs in order to become familiar with Kanji? I can only recognize about 10 different characters, and once you start asking about konyami (sp?) or onyami (sp?) I'm completely ignorant.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and I look forward to any replies!

Psy
Expert on Something

Re: JLPT - 4 study material

Postby Psy » January 10th, 2008 9:50 pm

Ahoy there. I'm not the most knowledgeable person here in regards to the JLPT (seeing as I haven't taken it), but I can answer a couple of your questions:

Nihongone Crazy wrote:Konnichiwa minna-san,

I am interested in taking (and of course passing) the JLPT. I would like to pass all of them eventually, but naturally I need to start with the first one.

What study materials would you recommend? I've listened to The entire Newbie Series, and have completed levels 1 and 2 of Rosetta stone, so I have (or I like to believe I have) a basic understanding of Nihongo, but believe I am definitely no where near capable of passing level 1.

It might just be the wording, but you are aware that level 1 is the hardest version of the test, yes? Level 4 is said to be almost ridiculously easy (something you could pass after 6 months or so of studying in your spare time), only 80 or so required kanji, a few hundred words and rudimentary grammar. Along the lines of "I like watching TV" and "I haven't been to Japan before." Rosetta stone I hear is good for building vocabulary and some sentence structures, but I would advise you to expose yourself to a beginner's Japanese text and some conversation (Jpod101 Beginner series, anyone? :D ) before trying for the test.

Are there books that specifically prep one for a particular level of the JLPT? If so, I would appreciate any recommendations.

Yes, there are, but as my experience lies elsewhere I can't help you here.

[Also, is it mandetory that one take and pass EACH level of the JLPT? Would it be possilbe for a bold individual to perhaps skip a level? For example, could one pass levels 1 and 2, skip 3 and do 4?

Absolutely. You can take whichever level you feel like, but it's advised to start slowly so that you'll know what you're in for on harder levels. Noting what I wrote above, if you pass level 1, you'd find yourself a tad bored with 2, 3 and 4.

Finally (I didn't intend for this post to be so long), I believe my greatest weakness to be reading/understanding the Kanji. During my earlier studyings, I neglected to learn them due to the perceived difficulty. What is a common strategy one employs in order to become familiar with Kanji? I can only recognize about 10 different characters, and once you start asking about konyami (sp?) or onyami (sp?) I'm completely ignorant.

We have a great topic here on Jpod-101 that gives a lowdown on pretty well all the major kanji study methods:

http://www.japanesepod101.com/forum/vie ... 98&start=0

Hope this could help you. Best of luck with your studies!

Get 40% OFF
lazysunday
Been Around a Bit

Postby lazysunday » January 20th, 2008 11:29 pm

here is a good list of books http://www.thejapanshop.com/home.php?cat=73

but I would recommend using elementary school kanji drill books. they have done wonders for my vocabulary

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » April 5th, 2008 10:48 pm

On the subject of JLPT 4 (everyone round here seems much more advanced! Yikes!), does anybody know if the 2006 test was especially easy? Only I tested myself using it and would have got about 322/400, so I was wondering whether it's worth entering myself for JLPT 4 this year, or whether I'd be better off trying to step up to level 3.

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » April 6th, 2008 12:38 pm

You'll also want a list of things coverered in the JLPT. You can get Kanji lists, Vocab lists, and grammar from past tests here:

http://www.mlcjapanese.co.jp/Download.htm
お茶漬け海苔

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » April 6th, 2008 12:49 pm

Level 4 is said to be almost ridiculously easy (something you could pass after 6 months or so of studying in your spare time)

As having just done this test (Dec 2007), I can say that's it's not THAT easy. Not if your goal is to do well. Especially when the questions are designed to trip people up.

Sure if you just want to pass, it might be easy, but hey who wants to be wonderfully average?

Taurus, just go ahead and do level 4 and kick butt! Don't undervalue the worth of doing well at this level.
お茶漬け海苔

slaughterj
Been Around a Bit

Postby slaughterj » June 26th, 2008 2:53 am

lazysunday wrote:here is a good list of books http://www.thejapanshop.com/home.php?cat=73

but I would recommend using elementary school kanji drill books. they have done wonders for my vocabulary

You should get the flashcards from that site if you don't have them already, they are very useful!

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”