Or sign up using Facebook

Taking JLPT in Japan

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

alard
New in Town

Taking JLPT in Japan

Postby alard » February 26th, 2007 11:49 am

みなさん,

I'm new to the forum, but I've been listening to JPOD101 since the beginning... and still enjoying it a lot!

Anyway, I'm thinking about taking the JLPT in Japan at the end of this year (2007); in fact I've already booked a plane ticket :) I'll probably try level 3 since I feel I can answer most level 4 questions now already and I still have a whole year...

What I would like to know: I read in a couple of places that to apply for the JLPT in Japan, you have to buy an application form in a bookstore in Japan... since I won't be there until November, does anyone know how to get such an application form outside Japan? Will they be available online?

どうもありがとうございます for your comments.

Alard (from the Netherlands).

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » February 26th, 2007 1:02 pm

Japan is a bit technologically behind.

Unless they change the process for next year, you'll need to pick up the application at the bookstore in August or September, get passport photos taken, and then spend an hour at the post office waiting in different lines, paying for the exam, and mailing the application.

Additionally, you'll need a Japanese address for the test voucher to be sent to. (And according to the voucher, your name must be written on the mailbox in order to receive the voucher. maybe that could be worked around with a c/o in the address, I can't quite recall the details.)

If you have friends who are here, maybe they could do all of that for you?

Get 40% OFF
alard
New in Town

Postby alard » February 28th, 2007 9:21 am

Hmmm... seems like I will be having some problems this summer :(

Then again, I cannot imagine I'm the first person trying to do this, so there's probably a way to apply from outside Japan... Perhaps one of the places here in Europe that host the JLPT can arrange this, or a language school in Japan, etc. I'll see what my options are this summer :)

Thank you for your answer!

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » February 28th, 2007 12:31 pm

No offense intended, but you have obviously not experienced Japanese bureaucracy. :D

There's a FAQ for the JLPT in Japan http://www.jees.or.jp/cgi-bin/jlpt-faq.cgi ... but it's only in Japanese. (and it says basically what I wrote before).

This FAQ http://momo.jpf.go.jp/jlpt/e/faq_e.html for people outside of Japan is a bit more useful. (at least it's easier to read).

I think that contacting language schools would be your best bet.

alard
New in Town

Postby alard » February 28th, 2007 12:51 pm

No experience with Japanese bureaucracy is correct :) I've only been to Japan once for a vacation and didn't have any trouble whatsoever (except not being able to speak the language ;-)).

Thanks for the URLs; I read the FAQ and the sentence "If you would like to take it in Japan, you can ask someone you know living in Japan." is quite clear...

I'll try and contact a couple of language schools to see what they can do.

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”