Dialogue

Vocabulary

Learn New Words FAST with this Lesson’s Vocab Review List

Get this lesson’s key vocab, their translations and pronunciations. Sign up for your Free Lifetime Account Now and get 7 Days of Premium Access including this feature.

Safe & Secure. We respect your privacy
Or sign up using Facebook
Already a Member?

Lesson Notes

Unlock In-Depth Explanations & Exclusive Takeaways with Printable Lesson Notes

Unlock Lesson Notes and Transcripts for every single lesson. Sign Up for a Free Lifetime Account and Get 7 Days of Premium Access.

Safe & Secure. We respect your privacy
Or sign up using Facebook
Already a Member?

Lesson Transcript

Welcome to learn Japanese grammar absolute beginner. In this video series, you learn basic Japanese grammar patterns and phrases through easy to follow audio and visual cues. Here is what we will cover in this lesson. Ready? Let’s get started.
僕は仕事をしています。 (Boku wa shigoto o shite imasu.)
Naomi:
We will be focusing on the usage of te-form of a verb plus いる (iru) or います (imasu)
Peter:
It’s like the ing in doing in English. To make this construction, we put the verb in the te-form and add,
いる (iru)
Or
います (imasu).
Peter:
The polite form. For now, we will stick to formal speech. So let’s use います (imasu) for this lesson.
Naomi:
僕は仕事をしています。 (Boku wa shigoto o shite imasu.)
Peter:
Literally I am doing work. It means I am working or I am doing my job.
Naomi:
The original phrase is 僕は仕事をする (Boku wa shigoto o suru). I work.
Peter:
To form the present progressive, the ing, change the verb する (suru) to its te-form.
Naomi:
So する (suru) becomes して (shite) .
Then we add います (imasu).
しています (shite imasu)
Doing. So,
Naomi:
僕は仕事をする。 (Boku wa shigoto o suru.)
“I work” becomes
Naomi:
僕は仕事をしています。 (Boku wa shigoto o shite imasu.)
I am working.
Naomi:
How about this sentence? 私は朝ご飯を食べる。 (Watashi wa asa gohan o taberu.)
Peter:
I eat breakfast. So let’s change the verb to eat which is
食べる (taberu)
The te-form is?
食べて (tabete)
So add います (imasu),
食べています (tabete imasu)
Eating.
Naomi:
So 私は朝食を食べています。 (Watashi wa chōshoku o tabete imasu.)
Peter:
I am eating breakfast. And in this sentence, the person is actually in the middle of doing the act. Let’s try with another verb. How do you say to take a picture?
Naomi:
Picture is 写真 (shashin). To take is 撮る (toru). So, 写真を撮る (shashin o toru)
To take a picture.
Okay let’s change the verb 撮る (toru) to take to the te-form.
撮って (totte)
Add います (imasu)
撮っています (totte imasu)
Taking.
Naomi:
写真を撮っています。 (Shashin o totte imasu.)
Taking a picture.
Naomi:
一郎さんは写真を撮っています。 (Ichirō-san wa shashin o totte imasu.)
Peter:
Ichiro is taking pictures. Now let’s form a question sentence. How do you say, what are you doing?
Isn’t that a big jump?
Not for Japanese.
Naomi:
Okay let’s start with 私は仕事をしています。 (Watashi wa shigoto o shite imasu.)
I am working.
Naomi:
The yes/no question would be 仕事をしていますか。 (Shigoto o shite imasu ka.)
Are you working?
Naomi:
Then replace 仕事 (shigoto)
Work
With 何 (nani)
What.
Naomi:
So, 何をしていますか。 (Nani o shite imasu ka?)
Peter:
Literally what doing? Of course, it means what are you doing?
Naomi:
僕は仕事をしています。 (Boku wa shigoto o shite imasu.)
Want more Japanese lessons like this one? Visit us at japanesepod101.com to get your free lifetime account today. Join now at japanesepod101.com

29 Comments

Hide
Please to leave a comment.
😄 😞 😳 😁 😒 😎 😠 😆 😅 😜 😉 😭 😇 😴 😮 😈 ❤️️ 👍

JapanesePod101.com
Friday at 6:30 pm
Pinned Comment
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Practice making your own sentences here, and let us know if you have any questions! :)

May 20th, 2017 at 9:50 am
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Sean さん、
こんにちは。
そうですね。
「べんきょう」ですね。
がんばってください。😄
Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Sean
May 14th, 2017 at 3:39 am
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Oops, benkyo, not bunko!

Sean
May 14th, 2017 at 3:34 am
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

こんにちは、ションです!
にほんごをべんきょしています。

Konnichi wa, Sean desu!
Nihongo o bunko shite imasu.

Hope that’s correct! 😁

September 11th, 2016 at 4:58 pm
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

pasha-san,
konnichiwa! :smile:

Have you tried this series?

Please also check ‘lean kanji’ under ‘Reading & Writing’:
You can check the stroke orders here too. :wink:

Hope this helps!

Natsuko (奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

pasha
September 6th, 2016 at 5:06 am
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Konnichiwa,
Watashi ha pasha desu.
I was wondering if there is somewhere i could learn how to do the stroke order for the kanji.
I know my hiragana well, but i only the kanji for tree 木 because i found some video on youtube on how to do the stoke order.

its not that i can’t do it, it just takes me forever to write it without the stroke order, and i know I’m writing in a much slower way. I feel like I’m falling behind because of my lack of kanji knowledge.

July 5th, 2016 at 4:07 pm
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Sara san,
Konnichiwa. :smile:
Please note the corrections below.
Watashiwa kuruma o unten shiteimasu/ I am driving my car
Watashi wa kuruma o unten shiteimasen/ I am not driving my car
You can omite ‘watashi wa’, is it is obvious.
Right now I am in my car driving means ‘ima kurumano naka de kuruma o untenshiteimasu.’
Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Sara
June 27th, 2016 at 4:29 pm
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

“kuruma wa unten shite arimasu? I am driving my car. How would you say not driving your car. Unten shite arimasen?”

CORRECTION:
kuruma wa unten o shiteimasu/ I am driving my car
kuruma wa unten o shiteimasen/ I am not driving my car

Question

if I wanted to also say ima, watashi ni kuruma wa unten o shiteimasu/Right now I am in my car driving. is this coreect?

Sara
June 27th, 2016 at 4:21 pm
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

January 30th, 2016 at 5:41 pm
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Fabienne san,
Konnichiwa. :smile:
ているhas some functions, the current situation, regular actions, changing or results and so on.
‘犬は死んでいる’ indicates changing or results and a dog was alive but he is dead now.
If you want to say ‘the dog is dying’, you can say ‘犬は今死にかけているところです.’
Unfortunately, 今死んでいます is not used.
Team JapanesePod101.com
Yuki  由紀

January 23rd, 2016 at 8:06 am
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

こんにちは。:)
I just saw that it’s not only the same like the “ing-form”. For example: “犬は死んでいる” actually means in japanese: “the dog is dead” and NOT “the dog is dying”. How do i say correctly “the dog is dying”? How do i know whether the verb is translated with the ing-form or the simple present?