a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

は or わ

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

rayman.the.one.and.only1_498570
Established Presence

は or わ

Postby rayman.the.one.and.only1_498570 » June 15th, 2014 10:19 pm

So I recently contacted someone from japan that I'm going to correspond with, and I was wondering which "wa" I should use for the particle "wa".
So I have my computer set to write hiragana and katakana, and whenever I type "wa" it comes up like this わ, but when my friend replied I've seen this は used as wa. Is this hiragana? it looks like it's hiragana, and I know that most particles are written in hiragana, but I'm not sure why microsoft word types わ. anyway any explaniation would be much appriciated. :) Domo arigato gozaimasu!

mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Re: は or わ

Postby mmmason8967 » June 15th, 2014 11:05 pm

わ is the hiragana character for "wa", so your computer is working correctly.

However, there are two particles that use characters that don't match their pronunciation. One of them is "wa", which is written as は, or "ha", and the other is "e", which is written as へ, or "he". To type these particles you have to type the character that's written, not the character that represents the pronunciation.

マイケル

Get 40% OFF
community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » June 16th, 2014 8:28 am

マイケルさん、
そうですね。どうもありがとうございます。

rayman.the.one.and.only1 さん、
As Michael said, please type ‘ha” when you want to write “は”.

Yuki  由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

rayman.the.one.and.only1_498570
Established Presence

Postby rayman.the.one.and.only1_498570 » July 4th, 2014 6:51 pm

thegooseking
Expert on Something

Postby thegooseking » July 5th, 2014 2:20 pm

It's not necessary to know the reason for this, but it is quite interesting.

The fact is, historically, people actually did say 'ha'. That was how the particle was pronounced. Over time, the pronunciation of the particle changed, but the way it's written didn't. It seems confusing, but it's only really confusing because it's so rare in Japanese. Things being written differently to how they're pronounced is so massively common in English that we sort of take it for granted, but the reason for it is usually the same - those English words used to be pronounced differently to how they are now. The historical change in Japanese pronunciation is also why, for instance, the Japanese currency is called 'yen' in English (because that's how it used to be pronounced in Japanese), but 'en' in modern Japanese.

The reason it's so rare for Japanese words to be spelled differently to how they're pronounced is that kana has been reformed twice in (relatively) recent history to more accurately reflect changing pronunciation - the first time was in 1900, and the second time in 1946. The 1946 reform, however, was only partially implemented, which is why you have は and へ instead of わ and え. Some argue that it's also why you have を instead of お, but my understanding is that they are still pronounced slightly differently, anyway.

小狼

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » July 14th, 2014 7:15 am

rayman.theone.and only1 san,

We are happy it helped you.

小狼さん、
どうもありがとうございました。勉強になりました。

Yuki  由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Postby mmmason8967 » July 14th, 2014 10:19 pm

小狼さん wrote:...The 1946 reform, however, was only partially implemented, which is why you have は and へ instead of わ and え. Some argue that it's also why you have を instead of お, but my understanding is that they are still pronounced slightly differently, anyway.

The "wo" rather than "o" pronunciation is definitely noticeable in some songs, which (kind-of sort-of) suggests that a goodly number of Japanese people at least think the word is "wo".

マイケル

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » July 17th, 2014 9:34 am

マイケルさん、

そうですか。どうもありがとうございました。

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”