a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

気持ち - 気分 - 感じ: help

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Naguib
Been Around a Bit

気持ち - 気分 - 感じ: help

Postby Naguib » March 3rd, 2010 9:17 am

Maybe this is a dumb/obvious question, but I'm a bit of a noob so humor me. These three words often come up when I watch TV or study, and they all roughly mean "feeling" or "mood" in the contexts I've seen, but I feel that they must have different connotations and are used in different situations. So if someone could break it down for me I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks all,
hannah

jazzbeans
Established Presence

Postby jazzbeans » March 3rd, 2010 12:06 pm

After reading this, I decided to look it up myself and this is the impression I got (although I could be wrong):

気分 = (feel) refers to feelings of the body & mind or atmosphere/mood of the situation.
気持ち = (mood) refers to a mood/impression, used in abstract phrases. More relating to emotions.
感じ = (sense) to feel something/get an impression from anything/a physical senstation, etc.

Example sentences:

気分:
だらけた気分だ = Feel lazy.
ちょっとぜいたくをさせてもらっているような気分です = I feel like I'm being spoiled a bit.
娘の結婚式に2万ドルもかかってしまい、自殺したい気分だった = After $20,000 for my daughter's wedding I was ready to shoot myself.

気持ち:
気持ちが通じ合わない = Emotionally distant.
あなたの気持ちはよく分かるわ = I know exactly how you are feeling.
できないことは何もないという気持ち = A state of mind in which nothing is impossible.

感じ:
うずく感じ = a tingling feeling/sensation.
デトロイトから30マイル北に行ったところって感じね = I'd say we're thirty miles north of Detroit.
何かがおかしい正しくないというどうしても消えない感じ = Nagging sense of something not quite right.

---------

気持ちがいい and 気分がいい are interchangeable, but いい感じ = a good feeling. "I get a good feeling from this piece of music" kind of thing. However 気持ちが悪い and 気分が悪い are different in the way that I think the former implies you are sickened over whatever it is (like you wanna vomit even), whereas the latter makes you feel more bad than sick. Then 感じ悪い (a bad feeling) implies unpleasantness more than anything. (かなり感じが悪い = To be at one's most obnoxious). Heh, I just found this:

気持ち悪い感じ = creeps〔【参考】get the creeps ; give someone the creeps〕

Get 40% OFF
Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » March 3rd, 2010 1:17 pm

Don't forget 心地 :lol:

lonna_senpai
Established Presence

Postby lonna_senpai » March 3rd, 2010 7:08 pm

Thanks for all that info! In all my years of studying never thought about it... :lol:

Naguib
Been Around a Bit

Postby Naguib » March 3rd, 2010 10:12 pm

thanks for the break down, it helps a lot. I also feel less silly for asking...
But now I have to worry about 心地.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » March 3rd, 2010 10:23 pm

If you worry too much about similar words, then you have another 10,000 problems waiting for you. You never really learn how to use a word just by reading the dictionary definition, or even looking at example sentences. What's important is that you understand them and make an effort to use them. The more you hear them in different contexts, the greater your sense of what sounds right/wrong becomes, and if you have anybody to correct you, then all the better. Luckily for you, these words are extremely common, so this is at least one problem that shouldn't take too long to solve :wink:

Jessi
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jessi » March 4th, 2010 12:28 am

jazzbeans wrote:気持ちがいい and 気分がいい are interchangeable, but いい感じ = a good feeling. "I get a good feeling from this piece of music" kind of thing.

They're similar in meaning, but not quite interchangeable. We actually talked about this in a Lower Intermediate lesson just last month (Season 5, Lesson 4) :)
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

jazzbeans
Established Presence

Postby jazzbeans » March 4th, 2010 4:11 pm

Thank you very much, I'll check it out! x

Like lonna_senpai, I hadn't given it much thought before either! =P
But 'tis quite groove what ten minutes of research can teach you.

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”