a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Japanese electronic dictionary?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

jns4chat
Been Around a Bit

re:

Postby jns4chat » March 24th, 2008 12:13 am

ochazuke wrote:I can't think of anything you'd miss if you get one of the Casios instead of the DS dictionary.

great! that helps a whole lot :D

cliang78
New in Town

Postby cliang78 » April 5th, 2008 11:25 pm

I'm thinking about getting this one:

www.japaneselanguagetools.com

It's a bit out of my price range though. :(

Get 40% OFF
sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » April 5th, 2008 11:55 pm

It does look cool.

However, the two things they mention as advantages (being able to draw Kanji for lookup, and being able to look up Kanji that's already in the dictionary), are also available in the electronic dictionaries that have a touch pad and a "jump" function.

From the website:

Denshi jisho don't have a great way to enter kanji you don't know. This isn't a huge problem for a native Japanese who's already spent 12 or 16 years learning kanji.. But even for the native speaker, the lookup options on the PDA system are much better (not to mention more fun). In addition to the same input and lookup methods you'd find in a denshi jisho, in a Windows Mobile PDA you can simply draw the kanji on the screen to find it--it works beautifully and it's forgiving of mistakes.
The second problem is harder to overcome. To look up a Japanese word in the main dictionaries of a regular denshi jisho, you have to enter it in hiragana (or katakana if the word is normally written that way). Thus if you see a word in kanji and don't know how to write it in hiragana (how to pronounce it), you can't look it up in those dictionaries.
お茶漬け海苔

cliang78
New in Town

Postby cliang78 » April 6th, 2008 9:35 am

That's true, and I do have a Chinese denshi jisho as well (I'm currently in Taiwan, studying Mandarin) that has jump and handwriting recognition. I'm mainly interested in the PDA because of the dictionary content though, as well as the customizability. Supposedly the Eijiro dictionary has 1.5 million+ entries both ways, while most denshi jisho models I've looked at are in the 100-200k range. I haven't seen many denshi jishos that offer Eijiro.

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » April 6th, 2008 12:20 pm

Yep, the more entries the better, I agree.

How much does a "complete" package cost? I had a bit of a problem deciphering that from that website.
お茶漬け海苔

cliang78
New in Town

Postby cliang78 » April 7th, 2008 12:18 pm

50,000円  :(

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » April 7th, 2008 3:11 pm

It's expensive that's for sure, but not that much more expensive than the most expensive electronic dictionary.
お茶漬け海苔

cliang78
New in Town

Postby cliang78 » May 4th, 2008 11:38 am

Just wanted to update whoever is interested. I bought one and have been playing with it the last couple weeks. Although it wasn't cheap, it's done everything I expected it to do and more. Perhaps most importantly, I'm tapping on it constantly (on the subway, walking to class, walking to work, etc.), looking up characters I haven't seen before or want to review, or else practicing kanji with a different PPC app I got off the net, and I'm able to listen to jpod101 mp3s off of it at the same time. Besides the robust dictionary function(s), the device has basically helped me take advantage of a lot of time I wasn't previously utilizing towards language acquisition. I just have to avoid the urge to download Windows Mobile games onto it. :(

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » May 4th, 2008 6:17 pm

cliang78 wrote:I'm thinking about getting this one:

www.japaneselanguagetools.com

It's a bit out of my price range though. :(

I got one of these too after being very unsatisfied with a Wordtank. It's expensive, but I really think it's the best option for English speaking learners. Plus the handwriting recognition kicks butt.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » May 11th, 2008 7:01 pm

if you have a cellphone i recommend http://tangotown.jp/tangotownj/

the amount of definitions is ridiculously up to date. slang, regular vocab, obscure kanji, you name it, they got it. i use it on a daily basis... probably 6-10 times a day on average. it's only 300 yen a month.

超おすすめだぞ!
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » May 19th, 2008 2:50 pm

Jason wrote:I got one of these too after being very unsatisfied with a Wordtank. It's expensive, but I really think it's the best option for English speaking learners. Plus the handwriting recognition kicks butt.

No offense since jpod sells them, but I think all the wordtanks are lacking. Casio's EX-word models are way way better.

How's the battery life on that fancy dictionary? I've had windows mobile devices over the years, and they all pretty much needed to be recharged everyday. Not usually a problem, but still, a bit of a pain.

That's one great thing about denshi jishos. You can go months without changing the battery.
お茶漬け海苔

cliang78
New in Town

Postby cliang78 » May 20th, 2008 4:16 am

The battery life, to be blunt, is unsatisfactory. Luckily, the guy selling 'em gave me an extra battery for free. So yeah, you need to charge it everyday still. I'm used to it already though, since I do the same thing with my cellphone.

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » May 20th, 2008 11:48 am

Thanks for the info cliang78.

I guess I'm not surprised, but still a shame nonetheless. All that processing power, that color screen, and backlight come at a cost.

I already have too many devices I need charge everyday :(
お茶漬け海苔

Bissen
Been Around a Bit

Postby Bissen » May 21st, 2008 7:46 pm

I have one from FREELANG - works fine. You can add words on your own, and it works both ways. (English>Japanese/Japanese>English)

There is also this pratice function, where you pick out some words, put them on a list, and then go through them untill you know each.

Don't have a download link, but you should be able to google it!

privard
New in Town

The "fancy" one

Postby privard » July 4th, 2008 3:52 pm

Hi, all. To be upfront, I'm the maker of the one Jason and cliang78 are writing about.

In answer to one person's question, you can put a flashcard program on it. There are free ones, but I like KingKanji ($35): it grades my kanji as I write, really helping me nail the stroke order and proper position, and there are premade card sets for all the major tests and texts. Also runs on desktop computers, so even if you don't get my system, it might be worth a look (I don't sell or benefit from King Kanji).

I don't have a great answer to the battery life issue: a computer with a high-resolution screen is going to use more juice than a low-power single use machine with an old-fashioned LCD screen, even if the computer is smaller. You can get two days or more worth of strictly dictionary use per charge (it's not like you spend 4 hours a day reading dictionaries), but as someone noted you end up using it more often and for more things than you would a denshi jisho, so in real life you should charge it every night (if you're going off grid for a few days or a week, you can get extra batteries fairly cheaply). The Japanese OS version is built on a different PDA with about 70% longer battery life than the English OS version, but it still won't compete with a Wordtank or Ex-Word running for weeks on an AAA battery. If that's not a deal breaker, you'll get used to charging it nightly--instead of putting down on the nightstand when you empty out your pockets before going to bed, put it down on the charging stand (you've got to put it down somewhere anyway, and this way you'll always know where to find it in the morning).

I also don't have a great answer to the high price. I wish I could make it cheaper, but given the time that goes into it and what I have to pay for the hardware and software, that's what I have to charge (I stick to the high-end PDAs because I think the processor speed and sharp display make a difference even just for dictionary use, plus only the high-end models are available refurbished to new condition by the factory--selling plain used stuff is a pain because then I have to worry about the condition of every unit not being up to snuff). I like to think my system gives you five times the use for twice the price--but that's in the eye of the potential purchaser. It really is twice the price of a mid-range denshi jisho, and some people aren't ever going to be happy about spending that much on a dictionary. If you know someone who's got one, ask them what they think or try theirs out for yourself--and be sure to compare it with a regular denshi jisho.

Actually, I do have a great answer to the price issue: the same site I sell these things through gives complete instructions for making exactly the same dictionary system on your own. If you get a cheap used Japanese OS PDA it won't be as fast as mine, the screen will only be a little better than a good denshi jisho's, and it won't have as many additional features, but for dictionary use it'll give you the same function for less money. You can downlaod all the dictionaries and software except Eijiro from or through my site for free.(You can get the stock version of Eijiro from the maker for 1980 yen or you can get the version with full yomigana for 6500 yen from me.)

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”