a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Where is Peter from?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

nimoy
New in Town

Where is Peter from?

Postby nimoy » February 2nd, 2007 1:37 am

I couldn't seem to find info about the hosts/voice actors for the podcasts. Listening to the podcasts, I get the impression that Peter is from New York. It's the way he pronounces words like "pause" and "foster": there's that distinct soft "aw" sound in there. I'll bet he says "co-aw-fee" too ;0)

seanolan
Expert on Something

Postby seanolan » February 2nd, 2007 2:19 am

Actually, Peter is native Japanese, but in a strange freak mishap he was kidnapped as an infant. Fortunately, a roving band of コスプレおたく happened upon the kidnappers and, for the first and only time in history, were able to defeat real villains just like the heroes they were imitating would have. Sadly, they decided to form a super-hero group loosely based on the X-Men of American comic book fame and were disemboweled during their first "Danger Room" exercise. However, this story is about Peter, who was subsequently rescued by a itinerant band of Tanuki who had just finished a four-year eikawa course at Nova. Desiring to have someone with whom to practice their English, they took the child as their own, but being the mischievous critters that they are, they never once spoke Japanese with the child, instead raising him on a strict regimen of English language and occasionally mocking his distinct lack of a tail. This of course led to an unfortunate incident where Peter tried to acquire a tail from a seven tailed kitsune and the bargain he had to strike was distinctly unbalanced (to this day he misses his pinky toes), but that's another story.

To teach young Peter a lesson, the tanuki decided to alter his memories, leaving him the memories of a childhood spent in New York, growing up with his family and friends there, even going so far as to take the form of his "relatives" when he asks them to visit him in Japan, and only later coming to Japan to eventually settle down with his wife and to start JapanesePod101. Thus, even today, if you ask him, he will tell you he is from New York, but if you watch carefully, you might catch a glimpse of a small masked face peeking at him from behind a tree. (We suspect Yoshi is reporting to them on a regular basis, and Chigusa is clearly a relative of the seven tailed kitsune.)

And although he doesn't know it, this is why he always feels that he has come home when he enters an izakaya...the statue welcoming him in brings back the memories he can no longer access on his own.

Sean

Get 40% OFF
Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » February 2nd, 2007 8:28 pm

Seanolan-san! :wink:

Is it true what you just say? or you make up this story? because it seems to me like is fake! :? :shock:

I thought Peter-san was from Italy because of his last name Galante is a Italian last name! :)

Anyway whatever his real story is we love him too! :wink: 8)

Outkast
Expert on Something

Postby Outkast » February 2nd, 2007 11:18 pm

Surprisingly, every word is true...

seanolan
Expert on Something

Postby seanolan » February 2nd, 2007 11:18 pm

It's the truth, I swear! But there's a vast conspiracy to keep it quiet, involving the tanuki clans, the seven-tailed kitsune, and Latvian government (it's pretty complicated, and the details are beyond the scope of this lesson...) and, as I've mentioned, even Peter doesn't remember his real childhood, having memories of a childhood spent in New York implanted by the tanuki who raised him.

However, I suspect that a good smack to the head might retreive those memories, so if you truly care about Peter's mental health, when you meet him, you will hit him in the back of the head with a blunt instrument. Don't worry if he objects...once he has his real memories back, he will be sure to thank you!

Because we love you Peter-san!

Sean
:twisted:

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » February 3rd, 2007 11:44 pm

WOW! very interesting history, thanks Seanolan-san! :wink:

nimoy
New in Town

Postby nimoy » February 7th, 2007 7:12 am

so, while Peter's actual origin is much more convoluted and mysterious than one would guess, his accent is indeed New York? interesting.

many thanks.

Outkast
Expert on Something

Postby Outkast » February 8th, 2007 12:45 am

Such is the way of Peter-san's origins...

Yoshiko
Established Presence

Postby Yoshiko » February 12th, 2007 2:50 pm

I want to buy the rights for the film.

Liz21
Expert on Something

Postby Liz21 » February 14th, 2007 12:53 am

seanolan-san,
Many thanks for this information! I have always wondered why Peter's background seems to be so mysterious!! Now I know!

:shock:

BTW, I am planning to visit Japan in October and I will endeavor to carry out the plan of the blunt instrument to the back of the head. :twisted:

seanolan
Expert on Something

Postby seanolan » February 14th, 2007 3:09 am

Liz21 wrote:BTW, I am planning to visit Japan in October and I will endeavor to carry out the plan of the blunt instrument to the back of the head. :twisted:

I want to buy the rights to THAT film...

Sean

rooraa
New in Town

Postby rooraa » June 17th, 2008 2:58 am

Hahahaaha!! I have to say, that was the most intriguing and fascinating story (be it real or not) i have ever read.

I want to watch both of those film =D

SywenArk
Been Around a Bit

Postby SywenArk » July 17th, 2008 1:28 pm

Oh boy, I did never laught so much in my entire life!!!!!

Peter has had such an intersting childhood XD
ahahahah I am still laughting.... no way, no waay, I can't wait for the movie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Loved the "Tanuki's conspiracy" part. XD
Sure Yoshi keep them informed about everything. :D :D :D

avrichard4285
New in Town

Postby avrichard4285 » December 22nd, 2010 9:30 am

Well... this is a really old thread, but I find this kind of thing really interesting, so I'll take a guess that...

Peter is a New Yorker of Italian background. Going by the vowel sounds :) Like when he says a word like "boss".

I'm an Australian, and I have a pretty strong Australian accent, but my father was from Louisiana and I got used to hearing a lot of different accents from around the US.

tashippy5682
New in Town

Postby tashippy5682 » January 24th, 2011 5:34 am

uh yeah dude is from brooklyn i'm pretty sure. listen to the beginner lessons he talks about how he's from NY all the time

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”