a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

ください vs 下さい?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

highbridge
New in Town

ください vs 下さい?

Postby highbridge » June 28th, 2008 12:19 am

In a lesson Naomi sensei thought us about "下さい" and "ください", but I totally forgot! Would anyone help me please?

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » June 28th, 2008 4:20 am

下さい = ください = kudasai. Same word, different spellings. Most of the time it's written without the kanji, so I suppose it looks a little more formal when it is. It's a common expression which means "please give me" or "please do [something] for me."
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

Get 40% OFF
markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » June 28th, 2008 6:20 am

technically speaking, 下さい is for actually giving something (an object) to someone else. whereas ください is generally used for the meaning of please. native speakers themselves get confused on this differentiation too, so you won't always see the rule adhered to. also you'll see 下さい in signs (like on the tokyo metro) where it's used to conserve space or speed up the reading process. :wink:
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

highbridge
New in Town

Postby highbridge » June 28th, 2008 7:00 am

Thanks for the answers! Does anyone remember the lesson which she was talking about "下さい vs ください"? May I'm shouldn't mind so much :roll:

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » June 28th, 2008 11:08 am

I remember Naomi saying that auxiliary verbs should never be written in kanji, e.g. 来る, 行く, 置く should not be kanji'd up after the て-form. This rule seems to be followed in most of the things I've read. It seems to mainly be people who love pressing the space-bar that use kanji for these sort of words, as well as regular words that don't generally use kanji like なる.

Like Marky was saying, use を下さい and てください. If in doubt, just use hiragana in cases like this.

WalterWills
Expert on Something

Postby WalterWills » June 28th, 2008 5:55 pm

Wow I didn't know that about auxiliary verbs..

Although I'm sure I always see "-komu" written with Kanji..I could be mistaken though.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » June 28th, 2008 11:28 pm

WalterWills wrote:Wow I didn't know that about auxiliary verbs..

Although I'm sure I always see "-komu" written with Kanji..I could be mistaken though.

Do you mean like 覗き込む (のぞきこむ)? Those are compound verbs rather than auxiliary ones, so what Naomi said doesn't apply to them.

highbridge
New in Town

Postby highbridge » June 29th, 2008 1:36 am

Thanks Marky and Javizy! It was exactly what she said! Now I remember! :idea:

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”