Or sign up using Facebook

Brooklyn Mom Raising Kids in Japan

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

danparvus_502651
Been Around a Bit

Brooklyn Mom Raising Kids in Japan

Postby danparvus_502651 » March 13th, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi,

I found this blog very interesting. http://joannagoddard.blogspot.com/2013/ ... ng-in.html

It is about a native Japanese woman who lived in Brooklyn for 17 years. She married a North American who suggested moving back to Japan to give their child an experience of their culture.

I really appreciate what she says about the community in Japan. Perhaps this is more a small town thing though, and if she had decided to live in, say, Tokyo, she would have had a very different experience.

I also found her comments on the role of men and woman in the home interesting. Do you think this is accurate?

I have six kids and my wife stays at home with them. I am able to work from home 3 out of the five days a week, but there is no way we could have so many kids without my very active involvement in their lives. I can only imagine what they would think of my family if we moved to Japan! :shock: Probably something along the lines of "Crazy Gaijin!" :)

The boundary between the private and the public life is also interesting. I believe that is something we North Americans could learn a little from. At my office, we often have people who "over share". But I think in Japan, it is deeper than that.

Anyway, I thought I would post this to see if anyone else had thoughts about parenting in Japan. '

Cheers,
Daniel

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: Brooklyn Mom Raising Kids in Japan

Postby community.japanese » April 9th, 2015 8:15 am

Daniel san,
Konnichiwa.
Thank you for the post.
Regarding parenting in Japan, as you know many people live there so they have various parenting styles.
However, according to the academic article compared to 20years ago many fathers often spend a time with their children.

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com
Get 40% OFF

Return to “General Japanese Culture”