Or sign up using Facebook

itadakimasu and gochisosama

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

oneredice
New in Town

itadakimasu and gochisosama

Postby oneredice » February 2nd, 2009 5:22 pm

hi guys,

anyone know what these phrases mean, and why the japanese say them?
i've looked all over, cant seem to find anything about it. even my japanese freinds dont know what they are actually saying.
for ppl unaware of these phrases completely, itadakimasu is ritually said before eating any meal, and gochisosama is said after finishing a meal.

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » February 2nd, 2009 5:44 pm

These phrases are used before and after eating respectively. I personally have never heard these words used.

Get 40% OFF
QuackingShoe
Expert on Something

Postby QuackingShoe » February 2nd, 2009 6:04 pm

'itadakimasu' is the polite form of itadaku, which is the humble form of the verbs morau, taberu, nomu, and some other stuff. So, you're just announcing what you're about to do.

chisou = feast. the method that turns it into gochisousama deshita is the same as what turns tsukareru into otsukaresama deshita.

Neil53
Been Around a Bit

Postby Neil53 » February 2nd, 2009 7:14 pm

So when you say gochisousama you are thanking them for being the honorable provider of the feast by proclaiming and giving them the title.

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » February 2nd, 2009 10:52 pm

jkid wrote:I personally have never heard these words used.

Seriously?!! My wife's family and friends *always* use these.

Neil53
Been Around a Bit

Postby Neil53 » February 2nd, 2009 11:58 pm

Used with most every meal for the older folks. Not so much with younger. Hen ne?

QuackingShoe
Expert on Something

Postby QuackingShoe » February 3rd, 2009 12:25 am

Danged kids these days, not properly observing their 挨拶.

oneredice
New in Town

Postby oneredice » February 3rd, 2009 1:12 pm

Ahh, well thanks for clarifying that.

And actually, the Japanese people I know are all college students (21+), and I hear them saying it all the time, and this is in America! So don't put us all in the same group as the 'danged kids'

lonna_senpai
Established Presence

Too much over use?

Postby lonna_senpai » May 20th, 2009 6:37 pm

I am planning on going to Japan in March and am 25. So when do I say these words? At a street vendor ramen shop? Or only at a real nice restaurant? McDonalds? Before I eat a candy bar or onigiri at a convenience store? I want to do it right but I don't want to look like I am trying to hard.
Thanks

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » May 20th, 2009 6:41 pm

I would say it whenever you like. My wife and I say itadakimasu whenever we eat something together, even if it's just a snack. Gochisosama deshita might sound a little strange at McDonalds, but I'm sure they'll think you're being sweet if you say it, rather than weird.

lonna_senpai
Established Presence

Postby lonna_senpai » May 20th, 2009 6:48 pm

Thanks for the feedback! Taurus!

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » May 20th, 2009 9:03 pm

You don't say itadakimasu to waiting staff, but to people eating with you.
It's sort of like grace in the Christian way without religious overtones.
Maybe a bit like Bon Appetite too.
Some people put their hands together in front of them while saying it.
I see it as being grateful for the food and the effort of everyone in getting it to my plate, from the farmer or animal on up. I've gotten into the habit of saying it even when eating a meal alone.
You can also take your lead from the people with you. If they say itadakimasu, you say it too, it's good manners.

Gochisousama deshita, can be said both to the teller, or host, at a restaurant. (Maybe not McD's, or convini etc though) and to anyone treating you to a meal (or snack) either by preparing it or buying it.
"That was a lovely meal, Thanks" to a host, or just another way of saying thanks at a restaurant, saying you enjoyed the experience.

The flip side of this is that English doesn't really have (secular) set phrases before and after meals much to the confusion of my wife.

applezoid
New in Town

Postby applezoid » May 21st, 2009 3:54 am

Not only that, but it will impress Japanese people you're with (especially if they're older). I remember a chef at a summer camp I was at always looked extremely pleased when we said gochisosama deshita. And I've heard folks of all ages say it including my girlfriend and her college-aged friends.

I've been told that this practice originally comes from the Shinto tradition, though most people in Japan practice these old traditions secularly.

Jessi
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jessi » May 21st, 2009 6:09 am

applezoid wrote:Not only that, but it will impress Japanese people you're with (especially if they're older).

:lol: This is so true! The host family I stayed with for 6 weeks had three generations living together (the grandparents lived together with them) and I remember the grandmother being impressed when I said even simple set phrases. Then she'd tell the grandfather about it. It was cute.
Sorry, kind of off-topic :oops:
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 21st, 2009 8:54 am

Actually my boyfriend and I say it to each other if the other makes the dinner. I also usually say gochisosama deshita at a ramen shop or other restaurants where it has one or two people doing everything. They seem more pleased at me than other foreigners when I do say it.

I wonder if I can get into the habit of saying both when I'm with my boyfriend and other friends. It certainly would be good to start doing more things the Japanese way. ;)

Return to “General Japanese Culture”