Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

The comments section in the new layout is no good!

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

martinakiyama9971
Been Around a Bit

The comments section in the new layout is no good!

Postby martinakiyama9971 » June 22nd, 2013 2:36 pm

With the new page layout the comments section after the lessons now lists the most recent comment first, and the earliest comment last. Also, instead of showing all the comments, it only shows the most recent comments - you have to click the "Show More" button to see some more comments, and then click it again, and again, and again, in order to see all the comments.

But this is a bad thing, because the earliest comment is always the one from one of the JPod101 team asking people to make a comment in order to practice their Japanese. And now you can't see it unless you click the "Show More" button multiple times! New people aren't even going to know it's there! But I think making a comment is an important part of the lesson, so the earliest comment should be the FIRST comment you see, just as it used to be. And I always like to see what comments people have been making recently too.

So, I strongly suggest you return to listing the comments in the order they were posted, and list all of the comments instead of having a "Show More" button.

mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Re: The comments section in the new layout is no good!

Postby mmmason8967 » June 23rd, 2013 8:04 am

There are advantages and disadvantages to both layouts. Personally, I prefer the new layout with the most recent comment at the top because when you revisit a lesson, it's much easier to see when new comments have been added.

マイケル

Get 40% OFF
community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » June 23rd, 2013 3:07 pm

martinakiyama9971-san, マイケルsan,
kon'nichiwa! :D
Thank you very much for feedbacks and thoughts about new layout!
I'll share your posts with my team immediately :wink:

There was actually a question from another listner asking where the "main question from JPod" has gone.
We always welcome those feedbacks and questions to improve our website; "new messages first" would be
beneficial, like マイケルsan said, so we'd like to find the better solution :kokoro:

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Teabag
Established Presence

Postby Teabag » June 23rd, 2013 3:15 pm

I also like the new design better but would very much prefer to choose what I want to read first.
Some sites allow users to decide which comes first, the earlier or the latest comments.

I started with the Intermediate level here on JPod101.
Luckily, usually with several clicks I get to read all the comments.
The other day I took a quick look at a lesson in the Beginner level and was so surprised to
find some lessons have more than 150 comments. That's a lot of clicks. :D

paloma_ill
Established Presence

Postby paloma_ill » June 24th, 2013 1:05 am

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the comments and feedback. We've decided for this new format, because some lessons at JapanesePod101 has many, many comments, as you might know :wink:
Our first comment is actually to start the conversation with you users. :) We're glad you like to read through all comments!
And specially our first comment :)

Paloma
Team JapanesePod101

tpgames3546
New in Town

Postby tpgames3546 » June 28th, 2013 10:49 pm

Teabag wrote:I also like the new design better but would very much prefer to choose what I want to read first.
Some sites allow users to decide which comes first, the earlier or the latest comments.

This feature that other sites have, would benefit everyone because that way those who want new first, gets new first, those who want last first, gets last first.

Another idea is the below as it will make pages with comments load faster, and is really the best as future huge success is built into the formula as it insures pages continue to load quickly no matter how many people comment. Further more, having the beginning question being hidden, takes out the personable feeling of the lesson. This question, when it was meaningful to the lesson, was a selling point. When this "question" was simply "Answer the question below", it was clearly a "tack on" that had no meaning and looked unprofessional. :wink: :picket: Just some thoughts. Thanks!

For example:
Navigation of Comments (with 25 - 50 comments per page)

Code: Select All

<<-- [First] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [last] -->>

I realize that the techie code writers aren't going to want to role this out too soon given all the hard work they recently finished. :lol: Thanks for considering these points. :D

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » July 2nd, 2013 6:12 am

tpgames3546-san,
thank you very much for the suggestion!! It's definitely a good idea and
serve well for anyone. I'll share your post with tech team immediately :wink:
Thank you!

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

tpgames3546
New in Town

Postby tpgames3546 » July 2nd, 2013 11:28 pm

community.japanese wrote:tpgames3546-san,
thank you very much for the suggestion!! It's definitely a good idea and
serve well for anyone. I'll share your post with tech team immediately :wink:
Thank you!

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Thanks! :D Glad to be of help. 8)

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”