a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Fantasy Books - What are you reading and Recommendations

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Fantasy Books - What are you reading and Recommendations

Postby jkid » September 29th, 2008 3:51 pm

As the title of this thread implies please write down what fantasy book you are currently reading, whether you would recommend it and if you're not ready any fantasy right now but have a recommendation please also post it here. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just ordered Assassins Apprentice and the 2nd book in that series from Amazon JP.

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » September 29th, 2008 6:15 pm

Recommendations.

Japanese tie-in
Tales of the Otori trilogy by Lian Hearn
Ninja, Hidden Christians, Pirates, Monks, Samurai. What's not to like?
http://www.lianhearn.com/

Cloud of Sparrows and Autumn Bridge by Takashi Matsuoka
More "realistic" and set in the Meiji period/ pre-Meiji period but the plot is centred around the clans ability to see the future. It's an easy read.

I've always liked the comic fantasy of Terry Pratchett
The witches are probably my favourite characters. Equal Rites, Lords and Ladies.
And the Wee Free Men
Prachett enjoys what he does and it shows in his books. He likes words and ideas. You can tell he's read fantasy and probably played RPG's in his time.

It's an old magical principle -- it's even filtered down into RPG systems -- that magic,
while taking a lot of effort, can be 'stored' -- in a staff, for example. No doubt a wizard
spends a little time each day charging up his staff, although you go blind if you do it too
much, of course.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
http://www.lspace.org/

and Tom Holt.
When fantasy intrudes on the work-a-day world.
http://www.tom-holt.co.uk/

Get 40% OFF
JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » September 30th, 2008 8:40 am

Yeah - I really liked the Lian Hearn stuff and there is another one out now I need to get.

I'm going through a sci-fi phase myself and just finished Jack Campbell's fourth book in "The Lost Fleet" - and now I'm going tohave to wait for him to write the rest! That's the worst thing about fantasy and sci-fi series waiting for the next installment.

I've also devoured the John Ringo books - all of them in the last year.

John Scalzi is another.

You get the idea I just love to escape - don't give me literature give me escapism!

If anyone in Tokyo wants and sci-fi or fantasy books then let me know as I have boxes and boxes!!

jkid

Postby jkid » October 9th, 2008 12:22 pm

That's the worst thing about fantasy and sci-fi series waiting for the next installment.

I usually don't hear of the good series until they're completed.

erubiox
New in Town

Postby erubiox » October 9th, 2008 1:07 pm

I'm not a huge fantasy reader, but I just got into Pratchett with his novel 'Making Money,' and I'm enchanted with his prose and world-view.

JonB, do you have any Pratchett or anything you recommend among your boxes? I may take you up on your offer.

jkid

Postby jkid » October 10th, 2008 8:47 am

but I just got into Pratchett with his novel 'Making Money,' and I'm enchanted with his prose and world-view.

Yes, everything he writes is so good. Regarding "Making Money" I bought that recently as it is the sequel to the book "Going Postal" I suggest (if you haven't already) you read it.

JonB, do you have any Pratchett or anything you recommend among your boxes? I may take you up on your offer.

I think we'd all like to take him up on that offer, books are always good to have especially if there fantasy. [/quote]

erubiox
New in Town

Postby erubiox » October 10th, 2008 9:37 am

...it is the sequel to the book "Going Postal" I suggest (if you haven't already) you read it.

Right, I actually decided to start with 'Making Money' since I liked the synopsis better than Going Postal. I'll get to that one eventually.

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » October 19th, 2008 10:11 pm

Sorry - no Pratchett. To be honest I got bored of the formula after the first dozen or so.

If you like it with a comedy twist have you tried Neil Gaiman? Not fantasy in the Pratchett way but very good - I especially liked Good Omen.

jkid

Postby jkid » October 20th, 2008 6:50 am

If you like it with a comedy twist have you tried Neil Gaiman? Not fantasy in the Pratchett way but very good - I especially liked Good Omen.

I have yet to read a Gaiman book but I have heard good things.

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”