Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Target audience for Japanesepod101.com -- young only?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

robertmrand
New in Town

Target audience for Japanesepod101.com -- young only?

Postby robertmrand » March 6th, 2009 3:45 am

I just started using Japanesepod101.com, and I do enjoy it. My wife (who is Japanese and completely bilingual), however, questions some of the assumptions in the early lessons. For instance, regarding the lesson that presents responses to "O genki desu ka?" You offer up zekkouchou desu and bacchiri desu as acceptable and indeed sophisticated responses. My wife, who is 44 and a Kobe native, says zekkouchou and bacchiri should not be used in this context. To her ear, zekkouchou and bacchiri sound strange.

I'm wondering whether my wife's reaction is an age-related thing. She's middle aged, and so am I. Perhaps your program is primarily geared for a younger generation, and reflects Japanese language usage that my wife is not familiar with. I would be grateful for your take on this.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Re: Target audience for Japanesepod101.com -- young only?

Postby Ulver_684 » March 6th, 2009 11:11 pm

robertmrand wrote:I just started using Japanesepod101.com, and I do enjoy it. My wife (who is Japanese and completely bilingual), however, questions some of the assumptions in the early lessons. For instance, regarding the lesson that presents responses to "O genki desu ka?" You offer up zekkouchou desu and bacchiri desu as acceptable and indeed sophisticated responses. My wife, who is 44 and a Kobe native, says zekkouchou and bacchiri should not be used in this context. To her ear, zekkouchou and bacchiri sound strange.

I'm wondering whether my wife's reaction is an age-related thing. She's middle aged, and so am I. Perhaps your program is primarily geared for a younger generation, and reflects Japanese language usage that my wife is not familiar with. I would be grateful for your take on this.

Robert-san! :wink:

We had similar topics but in my case I thought JP101 was full of intermediate and Advanced listeners but I never knew it was target for young people maybe both us are wrong and JP101 staff can clarify it out. :D

http://www.japanesepod101.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3936
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”