a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Kanji flashcards question

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

federico.bonato94_504092
New in Town

Kanji flashcards question

Postby federico.bonato94_504092 » January 28th, 2015 6:47 pm

Hello, I just started to study some kanji using the White Rabbit Press Kanji Flashcards (amazing) but I have few questions.
As a beginner I don't know what's the best way to study kanji so I'm asking you: is it enough to study just the kanji meaning for now as start or should it be better if I learn at the same time from now also the on'yomi and kun'yomi pronunciations?
I mean, it's the very first time that I'll be seeing those symbols so, do you usually study just the meaning of the characters to have a first idea and to be able to recognize them and then, in a second time review them all and learn the various pronunciations and thus be able to also say them or read them in Japanese?

i.e.

I take out the card with this symbol 水 --> ok that's the kanji for water (maybe try some writing too)

OR

I take out the card with this symbol 水 --> ok that's the kanji for water and it's called "mizu" (kun'yomi) and/or "shui" (-or whatever- on'yomi)

I have already organized my method of study using a spaced repetition system or Leitner Box system so I'll be practiceing every day at least 5 new kanji characters but if you suggest me to learn also the different pronunciations from now that would be a lot more work for me and I don't want too much pressure as a beginner because I don't want to risk to start confusing things and stuff.

So I just wanted to know if usually kanji is studied just by the meaning so I will be able to recognize them and "read" them or at least know what's written there more or less, and then when you get pretty much familiar with them start to learn how to read them in Japanese or do you study everything at the same time ?
If you how the cards are structured there's the kanji, 6 example phrases using that kanji, stroke line order | on the back | on'yomi, kun'yomi, meaning in english, translation of the 6 example phrases is kana and english as reference. So, I mean, I got everything there so I could get back to them whenever I want to...
Thank you for the help :D

lol

P.S. I already know all the Hiragana alphabet (or chart) and I'm almost done with the Katakana too.

alfred.molly_504202
New in Town

Re: Kanji flashcards question

Postby alfred.molly_504202 » February 3rd, 2015 1:36 am

I recently started learning Kanji, so I may not be the best person to answer your question, but I thought I could share some helpful resources that I use.

http://www.wanikani.com is a really popular site for learning Kanji, and it goes over the radicals first, then you go on to pronunctations and meanings of Kanji. I also use http://jisho.org/kanji/radicals/ just as a good resource and reference. I really like it so far, learning the radicals can help you understand the thousands of Kanji you will encounter later on.

If WaniKani isn't your cup of tea, I would still suggest learning the radicals first, then learning both the meanings and common readings of the Kanji together.

Get 40% OFF
community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: Kanji flashcards question

Postby community.japanese » February 3rd, 2015 7:58 am

alfred.molly san,
konnichiwa.
Thank you for sharing the sites. :D

federico.bonato94 san,
konnichiwa. :)
Basically Japanese children learn kanji through reading.
If you read stories or articles, you can remember meanings and readings.
However, there are many ways to learn kanji.
You can try many things.

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Practice Japanese - 日本語を練習しましょう”