Or sign up using Facebook

ずるり?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Murius
Been Around a Bit

ずるり?

Postby Murius » May 26th, 2015 9:13 pm

Hi everyone,

I can't find ずるり in any dictionary. I'm stumped at the beginning of 火目の巫女 - well not really, I went ahead anyway... - and wondering if it is the same as
つるり (smoothly / with a sliding motion)?

Context is a lizardman ate the MC's mother (they always do...) and is now coming for her (but she's got a big axe so she should be ok).

----よくも,
"- かかさまを.....シ"
ずるり, ずるりと長い尾を引きずりながら蜥蜴の巨躯が近づいてくる.

(excerpt from Miko vs Predator aka 火目の巫女)

Thanks in advance for any answer!

thegooseking
Expert on Something

Re: ずるり?

Postby thegooseking » May 27th, 2015 4:46 pm

Murius-さん、

I think the answer to this can be found in onomatopoeia.

ずるずる is an adjective or と-adverb that means 'slithering', which sounds appropriate for a giant lizard creature, in the context of the sentence.

Reduplication like this (ずる + ずる) often occurs in Japanese in words based on onomatopoeia. But we're talking about a big, lumbering lizard-man. If we accept that ずる is an onomatopoeic base, the character り has the onomatopoeic effect of making it sound softer or slower (probably slower, in this case). Compare with, for instance, のそのそ vs. のそり. Actually that's perhaps a bad example, since both mean "moving slowly", but hopefully you get the idea.

So I think it's slightly different to するり/つるり, but only in the sense that in those cases the り makes it softer, while in this case, the り makes it slower.

Note that, in constructions like this, the り should be pronounced more softly than usual to get the full onomatopoeic effect.

小狼

Get 40% OFF
Murius
Been Around a Bit

Postby Murius » May 27th, 2015 5:51 pm

Thanks, that's an awesome explanation! Standard behaviour for lizardmen too. :mrgreen:

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » June 10th, 2015 2:53 am

小狼さん、
こんにちは。
I also think that comes from onomatopoeia.

Murius san,

ずるずる indicates “drag, trail and limp.”
For example,
I drag a heavy box.
She trails a kimono sash.

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”