Or sign up using Facebook

Pronunciation - hiragana.

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

ddumaxxx_498792
New in Town

Pronunciation - hiragana.

Postby ddumaxxx_498792 » April 22nd, 2014 8:36 pm

Hello everyone!

I think I am done with pronunciation. But since it is very important I would like your help once again :/
I'm not so sure If I pronounce the hiragana correctly or somewhere near that point. I will upload the hiragana chart and my audio. Thanks :P

http://www.selflearning101.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/tofugu-hiragana-chart.png
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0ZORCECLKZD

What do you think? Do I pass? :D

andycarmenjapanese8100
Expert on Something

Re: Pronunciation - hiragana.

Postby andycarmenjapanese8100 » April 22nd, 2014 9:25 pm

I'd advise against using Tofugu. Their katakana chart, like many others, doesn't have ディ, which was confusing for me because I need that combination for my name.

This and this seem almost complete but they're missing ヴ and perhaps more.

Does anybody have actual complete charts for kana?
Last edited by andycarmenjapanese8100 on April 22nd, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get 40% OFF
jarrodherrmann47_498905
New in Town

Re: General Questions -

Postby jarrodherrmann47_498905 » April 22nd, 2014 9:49 pm

Could you please help me out with these few phrases that need checking. I would appreciate it a lot.

1. よくわたしと ランニング をします.

(My mum often runs with me)

2. あね が ふたり のなまえ は ブリー と エイミ です

(My two older sister's names are Bree and Amy)

3. あね は へび を 一ぴき かています

(My older sister keeps one snake)

4. うち に へやが四と ふろばが二と だいどころと ベランダと いま が あります。

(In my house there are 4 rooms, 2 bathrooms, a kitchen, verandah and a living room.)

If you could please correct any mistakes or let me know if it all makes sense i would be extremely grateful.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » April 23rd, 2014 5:03 am

ddumaxxx san,
Your pronunciation is pretty good! :D :oiwai:
I just give you some advice.
1. Even though Romanised letters for らりるれろ are ra ri ru re ro. You should stick to “l” sound. La li lu le lo are more close to らりるれろ.

2. Also を is wo however, it’s pounced “o” same as お now. Long long time ago Japanese people used “wo” sound nevertheless people are getting lazy and don’t use “wo”these days.

3. ぢゃぢゅぢょ are written dzya, dzyu and dzyo in the chart, however, they actually have same sounds of じゃ, じゅ and じょ.

4. Same as No2 above, when you pronounce りゃ, りゅ andりょ, please pay attention to the position of your tongue. Your tongue should slightly touch the back of your front teeth.

Then it will be perfect! :D

Yuki  由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: General Questions -

Postby community.japanese » April 23rd, 2014 5:32 am

[quote="

jarrodherrmann47 san,
I can see your effort.
がんばりましたね。 :D
These are correct sentences below.

1. よくわたしと ランニング をします.
(My mum often runs with me)
母はよく私とランニングをします。

2. あね が ふたり のなまえ は ブリー と エイミ です
(My two older sister's names are Bree and Amy)
ふたりの あねの なまえは ブリーと エイミ です。

3. あね は へび を 一ぴき かています
(My older sister keeps one snake)
あねは へびを 一ぴき かっています。The te-form of かうis かって.

4. うち に へやが四と ふろばが二と だいどころと ベランダと いま が あります。
(In my house there are 4 rooms, 2 bathrooms, a kitchen, verandah and a living room.)
うちに 四つの へやと 二つの ふろばと だいどころと ベランダと いまが あります。
If you put numbers and counters before objects, it’s more natural.

Yuki  由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Postby mmmason8967 » April 23rd, 2014 11:07 pm

andycarmenjapanese8100 wrote:Does anybody have actual complete charts for kana?

Well, kind of. This chart uses Japanese-style roumaji and I've done it as program code to preserve the tabular layout:-

Code: Select All

N   W   R   Y   M   H   N   T   S   K   A      .................................
nn  wa  ra  ya  ma  ha  na  ta  sa  ka  a      :                               :
        ri----- mi--hi--ni--ti--si--ki--i ---->:  Characters on the I row make :
        ru  yu  mu  hu  nu  tu  su  ku  u      :  compounds by  combining them :
        re      me  he  ne  te  se  ke  e  .-->:  with Y-column characters ya, :
    wo  ro  yo  mo  ho  no  to  so  ko  o  |   :  yu and yo.                   :
              ______|       |   |   |      |   :...............................:
.............|..........  ..|...|...|...   |   .................................
: Plosive H  pa --> ba :  : da  za  ga :   |   :  The plosive pronunciation is :
: becomes P  pi --> bi------di--zi--gi-----'   :  marked with ° (handakuten).  :
:            pu --> bu :  : du  zu  gu :       :-------------------------------:
: Voiced P   pe --> be :  : de  ze  ge :       :  The voiced pronunciation is  :
: becomes B  po --> bo :  : do  zo  go :       :  marked with " (dakuten).     :
:......................:  :............:       :...............................:

Japanese-style roumaji uses one character for vowels, two characters for the standard characters and three characters for compounds. Although some of them look a bit odd if you're used to western-style roumaji, if you try them in the IME you'll find they do produce the expected characters, including ヂ and ヅ which are hard to get if your starting position is "chi" and "tsu".

Compound characters are made by combining an I-row character with one of the Y-column characters (ya, yu or yo). When you type them in the IME you type the consonant followed by ya, yu or yo. For example, type "nya" to get ニャ and type "zya" to get ジャ (written "ja" in western-style roumaji ).

The chart summarises all of the standard hiragana and katakana characters. Well, apart from the sokuon (small ッ, tu or tsu) and chouonpu (ー, which lengthens the preceding vowel). There is also an extended set of katakana characters that provide a mixture of western sounds that don't exist in Japanese, plus some Japanese sounds that don't exist but are sort of theoretically possible. These extensions are called Tokushuon. In the following, the western spelling uses standard western pronunciation:-

ヴァ (va), ヴィ (vi) ヴゥ or ヴ (vu), ヴェ (ve), ヴォ (vo), ヴャ (vya), ヴュ (vyu) and ヴョ (vyo).

ファ (fa), フィ (fi), フェ (fe), フォ (fo), フャ (fya), フュ (fyu) and フョ (fyo). We already have フ (fu).

ティ (ti), トゥ (tu) because the T-column doesn't include these sounds, and テャ (tya), テュ (tyu) and テョ (tyo). These can all be voiced to give di, du and so on.

ウェ (we), ウィ (wi) and ウォ (wo) provide sounds missing from the W-column.

イェ (ye) provides a sound missing from the Y-column.

クァ (kwa), クィ (kwi), ウェ (kwe) and クォ (kwo) provide "Qu..." sounds. They can be voiced to provide gwa, gwi, gwe and gwo.

シェ (she) provides a sound missing from シ (shi), シャ (sha), ショ (sho) and シュ (shu). It can be voiced to provide je.

チェ (che) provides a sound missing from ち (chi), ちゃ (cha), ちょ (cho) and ちゅ (chu).

Hope that helps!

マイケル

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » April 26th, 2014 3:01 am

マイケルさん、

I also tried to find that however, I couldn’t.
どうもありがとうございます。

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”