a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Making an Anki deck from Sentences in minna no nihongo or other textbooks

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

gerwyndaevidjones_505840
New in Town

Making an Anki deck from Sentences in minna no nihongo or other textbooks

Postby gerwyndaevidjones_505840 » May 14th, 2015 7:47 pm

Hello Japanese learning population of the internet!
Im not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but, I,'m currently working my way through the minna no nihongo textbook and I'm unsure which sentences i should be inputting as flashcards in my anki deck (i dont need to make a vocab deck as they are available already, i just need sentences).
There is a deck on the anki server which has the sentence pattern examples from the beginning of each chapter of minna no nihongo, however there are many more examples of sentences in each chapter that are not included in the deck. I thinj yheres roughly 10 example sentence patern s in each chapter, and for me, i begin to recognise each of these flashcards too easily and i dont feel like im learning properly, just memorising a small group of things i see often. Now, dont get me wrong, all the other sentences in each chapter (most of which are produced by the reader by asking questions throughout the text) are built from using the grammar outlined in the small set of example sentences, but they do vary quite a bit and i feel enough that its worth writing in all of the sentences i produce during the text. also the sentences i make in my answer tend to combine these grammar points in different ways im making recognition and review cards, and already i have over 200 cards (so about 100 actual sentences) and im only just writing the seccond chapter sentences up - this seems more sensible than trying to get a real feel of the grammar just from the 20 examples that had been given up to this point.

What are your opinions? Does anybody have any input as to whether im doing the right thing? I suppose, worse case scenario - i get to trpe out each sentence i produce in my course answers aswell as phsically writing it, so that must be a good thing?
I suppose im kinda trying to build my own sentence repository deck, and using each sentence i come across in my books seems like a good start as they are sentences i have used.

how do you guys build sentence decks? do you do the same thing
im not very good at explaining things concisely, but if anybody understands what i mean, please offer me some input
cheers,
:D

Murius
Been Around a Bit

Re: Making an Anki deck from Sentences in minna no nihongo or other textbooks

Postby Murius » May 17th, 2015 9:05 am

Wish the site were less dead and someone would have answered you in my place. I would have liked to know more about your level and also I do not know the minna no nihongo book.

That said I wouldn't use anki for whole sentences, just the words. Unless they are specific sentences (like 気をつけて) you shouldn't bother learning them whole. No need to learn 20 sentences using -na adjectives, just remember they change to -na when placed before their subject, and make better use of your time learning the most common -na adjectives.

Also I hope you are using anki to learn your JLPT lists, it was a life saver for me but be careful when adding too many words per day it can go out of hand fast.

Finally that is just my opinion, whatever works for you is fine, my own learning plan was rather crazy!

Get 40% OFF
cgillum
New in Town

Postby cgillum » May 23rd, 2015 10:22 pm

Personally, I use the Cloze Deletion feature of Anki for learning sentences. I get three benefits out of this: 1) it helps me learn the hidden words that I'm focusing on, 2) it help improve my reading since everything is in the context of sentences, and 3) it helps improve my ability to type in Japanese, which is useful if you want to communicate with people over the internet. It requires a lot of time to add the sentences you want to study, but you get out what you put in. Plus, I find this more effective than just reading the raw sentences repeatedly since you actually have to actively produce the correct answers.

If you're interested, you can find more details in the two links below:

http://ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html#cloze-deletion
http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Massive-Context_Cloze_Deletion

がんばって!

Murius
Been Around a Bit

Postby Murius » May 24th, 2015 9:32 am

cgillum wrote:Personally, I use the Cloze Deletion feature of Anki for learning sentences. I get three benefits out of this: 1) it helps me learn the hidden words that I'm focusing on, 2) it help improve my reading since everything is in the context of sentences, and 3) it helps improve my ability to type in Japanese, which is useful if you want to communicate with people over the internet. It requires a lot of time to add the sentences you want to study, but you get out what you put in. Plus, I find this more effective than just reading the raw sentences repeatedly since you actually have to actively produce the correct answers.

If you're interested, you can find more details in the two links below:

http://ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html#cloze-deletion
http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Massive-Context_Cloze_Deletion

がんばって!

That's an interesting feature! Also it does look like adding the brackets won't add that much work when writing the sentences. How many sentences do you have right now? I'm wondering how manageable this is in the long run.

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”