Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Has anyone tried the new Denshi Jisho beta?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

thegooseking
Expert on Something

Has anyone tried the new Denshi Jisho beta?

Postby thegooseking » July 16th, 2014 3:07 pm

About a month ago, the online dictionary Denshi Jisho unveiled a beta of its new, improved version. If you go to http://jisho.org you still get the old version, but if you go to http://beta.jisho.org you can try out the new version.

[... T]he ultimate goal is to make something more than just a dictionary of words. Something akin to Google Now or Wolfram Alpha for the Japanese language. Just paste what you want to understand into Jisho, be it English, romaji, a single word or an entire paragraph of Japanese text, and it will search a myriad of data to help you understand the words, kanji and even grammar patterns.

It has what appear to be some nice new features. You can now search for kanji by drawing them with your mouse, in case you can't copy and paste them (e.g. you saw it in a picture or in print). You could already search for them by combining radicals on the old version, but now that's integrated into the main search page rather than being on a separate page. It also now has some speech-recognition search so you can say what you want to look up with a microphone, but I haven't tried that yet to find out how good it is. And the search itself seems to be more powerful.

It seems like a very good interface (ultimately, it is just an interface; the actual dictionary itself is still just WWWJDIC). But I haven't used it much to form an opinion, and I didn't use the old Jisho enough to make a proper comparison, so I'm eager to hear about other people's experiences.

小狼

mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Re: Has anyone tried the new Denshi Jisho beta?

Postby mmmason8967 » July 22nd, 2014 8:10 pm

I didn't know about this, so thanks for posting the link!

I haven't really had a proper look round it yet but my initial impression is that it's very nice and an improvement on the current version.

It still has some of the odd annoyances that I've never really understood, such as the way certain 'easy' common words are hard to find. For example, if you search for めいぐるみ it sin't found; you have to search for 縫いぐるみ instead.

マイケル

Get 40% OFF
community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: Has anyone tried the new Denshi Jisho beta?

Postby community.japanese » July 26th, 2014 7:59 am

小狼さん、マイケルさん

Thank you for sharing the information.

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”