2nd Button

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

angels317
New in Town

2nd Button

Postby angels317 » October 17th, 2009 4:59 pm

Hello everyone!
I'm Angela, An fro short (:

I have watch dramas and have read manga and I have seen some scenes saying "I'll ask for his second button."

So, what is it all about?

( short story....I guess )
I'm so curious because I live in the Philippines and the school that I go in usualy have Chinese, Filipino, Taiwanese, and Korean students, and it is so rare to have a Japanese Student. Luckily, this year, me & my friends notice that a guy that is older than us by only two years that looks younger than his age have just enrolled <our school have 4 buildings consist of: Kinder, Elem., High School, and college. Special students who can't speak English and/or can't speak Chinese go to a different classroom specially for them and it's on the 1st floor. And my room is on the 4th floor>! Every break, we keep passing by the 1st floor to see him <btw, he's so popular>, weeks passed and he already know us because we have chat on the net <but we can't approach him in school 'cause we're too shy>. We heard a news that he'll be going back to Japan on december. And me & my friends decided to give him a gift and ask for a remembrance. And my friend told me. "Why don't we ask for his 2nd button?" The End lolz. I summarize it as much as I can hahaha

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » October 17th, 2009 5:58 pm

Courtesy wikipedia:
ボタンには特別な意味付けが成されていることもあり、卒業式の日に女子が好意を持つ男子の第二ボタンをもらう風習が古くから行われてきた。なぜ第二ボタンかは、小説を元に広まった、心臓に最も近い部分だから等諸説ある[5]。また、普段第二ボタンを開けたままにしていることは「恋人募集中」などといった意味が付される事も一部地域ではある。

The second button of the top of a male's uniform is often given away to a female he is in love with, and is considered a way of confession. The second button is the one closest to the heart and is said to contain the emotions from all three years attendance at the school. This practice was apparently made popular by a scene in a novel by Daijun Takeda.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Japanese History & Tradition”